• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Informal closure or voluntary liquidation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Informal closure or voluntary liquidation?

Currently in the process of closing my account and due to the £35k profit it seems that either voluntary liquidation or informal closure would cost about the same in tax/fees. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best route to take based on this amount?

Originally posted by bob52 View Post
    Currently in the process of closing my account and due to the £35k profit it seems that either voluntary liquidation or informal closure would cost about the same in tax/fees. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best route to take based on this amount?
    Talk to a professional. Please. Your accountant or Maslins.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Talk to a professional. Please. Your accountant or Maslins.
      I have spoken to my accountant who told me it's six of one half a dozen of the other. Looking for second opinions.

Comment

For such a small amount, I would take a dividend of 15k and then wind up without mvl. You might save something if you’re a higher or further rate taxpayer, but remember the mvl fees will be around 2k. We cannot comment on the specifics because it requires information about your personal circs (e.g., tax bracket, whether you can distribute across two years etc.), but your accountant is probably correct.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          For such a small amount, I would take a dividend of 15k and then wind up without mvl. You might save something if you’re a higher or further rate taxpayer, but remember the mvl fees will be around 2k. We cannot comment on the specifics because it requires information about your personal circs (e.g., tax bracket, whether you can distribute across two years etc.), but your accountant is probably correct.
          Thanks, I'm a higher rate tax payer.

Comment

Thanks, I'm a higher rate tax payer.
            Don't you just love it when key pieces of information are trickled out bit buy bit when trying to help people... Not.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Don't you just love it when key pieces of information are trickled out bit buy bit when trying to help people... Not.
              Not sure what was missing? My accountant hasn't suggested it can be spread over two years and said my capital gains allowance can only be used in one go.

Comment

Not sure what was missing? My accountant hasn't suggested it can be spread over two years and said my capital gains allowance can only be used in one go.
                If the MVL distributions cover two tax years, then you'll get CGT relief in two separate tax years. Of course, you can also split a dividend over two tax years. You should ask your accountant to run the actual numbers rather than provide you with vague swings and roundabouts arguments. But I'm sure they are right in their analysis. You're probably only talking about a couple of grand saved with an MVL after the fees, even as a higher rate taxpayer. BTW, the limit for capital treatment w/ a simple strike off is 25k, not 20k as I implied earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  The OP is resident and tax resident in the Dutch Antilles, if that is relevant (probably not, but I thought I'd mention it).

Comment

Working...
                  X