• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for a Customer in the EU - paid in Euros

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working for a Customer in the EU - paid in Euros

Hi All

This has probably been covered elsewhere but I can't put my hand to it. I have an opportunity to work remotely (at least for now) for a US client but the projects will be in the E.U. It would be an initial 6 or 12 week assignment.

Any advice on how this works re Ltd Company/IR35/ - i.e. I assume the best way to do this is still through ltd company? Does IR35 apply?

Hints and tips etc?

Thanks in advance

Yes to LTD.
    Paid in Euros is fine.
    IR35 is still there, but for you to assess yourself. Just like for any private client.

You should probably worry more about what the contract contains and what jurisdiction(s) apply.
    Get the contract reviewed by a professional if in any doubt.
    If EU jurisdiction then you're fine, until, January anyway.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Also check your insurances (if required) - they might only cover UK clients.

Comment

Agency involved? I assume not.

If it's a US client, the jurisdiction and governing law is probably a US state. You'll need special PI insurance (cheapest through Randel Dorling via IPSE membership in my experience, underwritten by Hiscox, but YMMV). IR35 needs to be considered but, if it's inside, you're doing something very wrong in these circumstances (short assignment with a US client). Would help to have a multi-currency business account with Transferwise or similar (highly recommend Transferwise), otherwise you're paying a bank margin of 2% or more on fx.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Agency involved? I assume not.

If it's a US client, the jurisdiction and governing law is probably a US state. You'll need special PI insurance (cheapest through Randel Dorling via IPSE membership in my experience, underwritten by Hiscox, but YMMV). IR35 needs to be considered but, if it's inside, you're doing something very wrong in these circumstances (short assignment with a US client). Would help to have a multi-currency business account with Transferwise or similar (highly recommend Transferwise), otherwise you're paying a bank margin of 2% or more on fx.
          Thanks for the reply. Yes the agency is based in Poland.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            Also check your insurances (if required) - they might only cover UK clients.
            Good point thanks for highlighting that.

Comment

Originally posted by MHPPM View Post
              Thanks for the reply. Yes the agency is based in Poland.
              OK, so your contract is with the agency and, in that case, probably not US jurisdiction and governing law - ties with your comment about being paid in Euros. Less to worry about then. Your standard PI insurance probably covers you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                ...You should probably worry more about what the contract contains and what jurisdiction(s) apply...
                ^^ This.
                US clients prefer US jurisdiction. Check your contract.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

multi jurisdiction contracts are complicated. You'll have to consider the legal obligations in each jurisdiction and often more than 1 applies i.e. the jurisdiction for VAT is determined by something different than personal tax etc. The biggest thing to do is review the contract. You could have liability to UK authorities or contractually via your contract - it's much harder for tax liabilities to be pursued across jurisdictions. I'd have it reviewed but make sure whoever reviews it has experience of multi jurisdictional contracts, it changes the approach significantly.

Comment

If you're contracted with an EU-based agency and paid in Euros, it should be pretty straightforward for now. You don't need to bill for VAT, it's zero-rate. You can open a business Euro account with Cater Allen or Starling if you want to handle the exchange rate conversion later. As long as you aren't outside the UK for longer than 180 days, you're a resident in the UK for tax purposes.

Comment

Working...
                    X