• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Hired" in March but still haven't started due to covid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I could be going for the record of longest time from verbal offer to boots under the desk.

The salary's not stellar (I was in take anything mode back in March) and they're one of those employers that everyone joins when the market is bad. My colleagues all went there after the 2001 crash so I have a pretty good idea of what they're like.

My alternative plan is to do a PGCE in September. I like that I get certainty(ish) for a year and I've just spent 2.5 years teaching tech overseas. That was a lot more interesting than sitting at a desk for 37.5 hours a week. School life could be hell, but it could be better than worrying about how many virus particles there are on the office kettle.

One other piece of good news is that I've just had an email about a contract. I guess there are a few crumbs out there.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
      Am supposed to start on 1st as well albeit in my case had the offer made at the beginning of last week.
      Have been pushing to see a draft of the contract but complete silence so far.
      I am assuming they would either like to postpone the start date or have a clause in contract that would like to push over the fence last minute.
      Either way I am not going to play along, I'll say that I am keen to start as agreed and it is my way or no way.
      From the interview, got a feeling that the manager could be a bit difficult so alongside poor pay puts me off quite a bit...

I am wondering if they ever stop and think what the other party is feeling... or do they just assume we are so indebted that we'd crawl on our knees to get some pennies thrown at?
      Permanent employment feels like a punishment for something we did in a previous life indeed...
      Agencies see no advantage in giving people paperwork early, it just encourages reviews and requests for changes... hold firm, and change the start date when they supply the paperwork and you can give an idea of when you'll get your review back.

Despite protestations, I've done this a few times and it's never ultimately been turned down. You are as contractor after all, not a "sign any contract"-or
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        Despite protestations, I've done this a few times and it's never ultimately been turned down. You are as contractor after all, not a "sign any contract"-or
        This is for a permie role

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
          Oh, sign up and bend over in that case
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            You are as contractor after all, not a "sign any contract"-or
            Originally posted by fidot View Post
            Conceptually, they're different. Semantically, they're not.

Comment

Originally posted by DrGUID View Post
              Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I could be going for the record of longest time from verbal offer to boots under the desk.

The salary's not stellar (I was in take anything mode back in March) and they're one of those employers that everyone joins when the market is bad. My colleagues all went there after the 2001 crash so I have a pretty good idea of what they're like.

My alternative plan is to do a PGCE in September. I like that I get certainty(ish) for a year and I've just spent 2.5 years teaching tech overseas. That was a lot more interesting than sitting at a desk for 37.5 hours a week. School life could be hell, but it could be better than worrying about how many virus particles there are on the office kettle.

One other piece of good news is that I've just had an email about a contract. I guess there are a few crumbs out there.
              Not yet - you will never start

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by DrGUID View Post

Nah, I'm going to be reaching 8 years on mine in September.
                Still not been told that the contract is not going ahead.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I signed my contract for perm job in February, and it was due to start in June. In March they postponed the start date until July, and now they revoked the job.

If anyone's job has been postponed and they haven't taken you on payroll and put you on furlough, then its extremely likely they will cancel your job as the economy is going to get much worse & new starters are the easiest targets for the chopping board - so I recommend looking for new jobs if anyone's in such a silo.

Comment

still think that no job is better than ending up in a dump.
                    at least you can apply for benefits which, if you resign you will not for a while.
                    life is beautiful, stop and smell the roses.

my experience

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                      still think that no job is better than ending up in a dump.
                      at least you can apply for benefits which, if you resign you will not for a while.
                      life is beautiful, stop and smell the roses.

my experience
                      Sounds great if you've got a warchest. If you need to work, it's easier to look for a job from a job. If you're a permie and are applying for another permie role, they'll wait.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X