• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract was cancelled and I'm left in a situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) find a new contract anywhere and commute
    2) the Mrs. decided you had to move, get her working
    3) everyone is working from home anyway so what difference does location make?
    4) make your CV better and get a role rather than lose out to someone else
    5) get a job doing the governments track and trace
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

apply for gov loan, look into the terms, it might not be designed to be used that way.
      But worst case scenario you could take it out(if this year income is low) and repay it next year. effectively having a cash buffer and being able to differ some of your tax allowance from this year to next.
      check with accountant though. this might not be valid financial advice.

hth. keep positive and keep applying, as everyone said it is a numbers game.

Don't feel the need to compromise, not at least for too much, you'll be affecting your mental heath, future prospects etc.
      And most important, stop and smell the roses for a bit.
      It's hard not to get the rat race get to you, be comfortable with it, it was probably designed this way, otherwise how would you do people to do what they don't want to?

Comment

Originally posted by pegzyisdeed View Post
        ... and since I've moved cities my old role is a non-starter. ...
        I've commuted weekly into different countries, never mind different cities - but rarely have I had a daily commute. If you can still make some money working away from home, then you may need to bite the bullet. (WFH during lockdown notwithstanding).
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

150 for each role ????? That’s amazing good

More like 4000 in last 6 months

Do you have ipse+ membership claim on the insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            150 for each role ????? That’s amazing good

More like 4000 in last 6 months
            To be honest maybe I've been living under a rock, however last few contracts I've had I was headhunted and never had to apply via Linkedin. So seeing a role that's only a few hours old with 100'odd applicants has been a shock to the system for me.

Appreciate the advice and words of support on this thread, I'm just looking to speak out and try to gauge the current state of play. Its good to talk and all that.

x

Comment

For anyone looking at the LinkedIn application count and thinking of god, don't!

First, the job section on LinkedIn is rubbish, in fact it's worse than rubbish and I wouldn't be surprised if the count was incorrect. Most of the jobs seem to be generated automatically by some kind of screen scrapping tech that LinkedIn are using.

Second, lots of the applicants will be from overseas and unable to take the position.

Third, Apply you might just get the role!

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
                For anyone looking at the LinkedIn application count and thinking of god, don't!

First, the job section on LinkedIn is rubbish, in fact it's worse than rubbish and I wouldn't be surprised if the count was incorrect. Most of the jobs seem to be generated automatically by some kind of screen scrapping tech that LinkedIn are using.

Second, lots of the applicants will be from overseas and unable to take the position.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post

It's a minefield. Bitter experience from last summer which I don't want to repeat.

- Any job with the 'easy apply' button will be swamped. Hence scary 4000 apps per position type stats
                  - Roles with 'agencies' which link off to a job board on ones of Saturn's moons, which then link to Alpha Centauri.
                  - Expired roles
                  - Roles which are filled internally and only advertised to tick a box

Sadly it's the best resource available, as boards like indeed and jobswerve are even worse. For those you would be better off applying for a job as an alchemist.

Comment

My advice is to batten down the hatches for a long stint on the bench. I was looking for 6 months before taking a permanent job in a salary much lower than I would have liked. I turned down lots of roles over those 6 months that seemed bad compared to my expectations from 2 years ago, but in hindsight were pretty good compared to reality now.

Comment

Working...
                    X