• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in EU - list of exceptions to the two week quarantine rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in EU - list of exceptions to the two week quarantine rule

Starting an EU based contract next week. Part remote, part onsite.

Had a look through the 47 exceptions to the new two week quarantine rules for people entering the UK....

Result!
    "- Defence personnel and contractors doing work necessary for the delivery of essential Defence activities, including Visiting Forces and NATO"

You see this as a good thing?
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      You see this as a good thing?
      At a rate of €400 per day everything must be good

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        At a rate of €400 per day everything must be good
        Nice, which country will you be paying your tax to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Nice, which country will you be paying your tax to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
          If OP is lucky nowhere (Is working for NATO still tax free??)
          If OP is unlucky Belgium 50+ percent tax

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            If OP is lucky nowhere (Is working for NATO still tax free??)
            If OP is unlucky Belgium 50+ percent tax
            If you are actual NATO staff, yes. If you are a contractor, no.

Comment

€400 per day ...nope, don't think so!

As on previous contracts I'll be paying UK taxes; in my experience Belgium authorities don't want to know as soon as they see the word 'NATO' anywhere in your paperwork - I've stood in a commune and been told they didn't want to register me or care about taxes etc.

While NATO direct contracting is definitely tax free, contracting to a supplier on a NATO project isn't; I have heard of some 'inventive' contractors deciding they don't have to pay tax anywhere, but being that dodgy isn't for me. The perks of using an AMIS ID to buy duty free petrol and booze is one thing, but I wouldn't want to push it too far - I've known sub-contractors who have bought duty free cars on the back of their AMIS pass!

As far as the quarantine rules - yes, being exempt is a good thing I think. The rules appear to be politically driven with little to zero evidence that they work.

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
                Starting an EU based contract next week. Part remote, part onsite.

Had a look through the 47 exceptions to the new two week quarantine rules for people entering the UK....

Result!
                "- Defence personnel and contractors doing work necessary for the delivery of essential Defence activities, including Visiting Forces and NATO"

NATO has been removed, however cross border workers hasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatler View Post
                  NATO has been removed, however cross border workers hasn't.
                  As it happens, the NATO role fell through - after having the start date moved back 3 times I told the agency to stuff it; helped that I had been offered a UK WFH gig at a better rate as well

Turns out I made the right choice, I found out last week that all Mons contractors (on this particular project - not sure about others) had been sent home and told to stop invoicing. I think it's a Corona 'thing' as Belgium appears to be getting locked down again.

Comment

Working...
                  X