• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lost contract to very junior in-house hire. Now being asked to train them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost contract to very junior in-house hire. Now being asked to train them?

Hi all,

First post - please be kind!

So, I've been working for a client for the last ten years, providing a regular monthly service for a set fee. This service involves planning, design, production and management and accounted for about half my billable hours, most months.

Last year, they let me know that they'd be taking the role in-house, due to "costs". It's taken them ten months, but they've finally found someone, so they gave me official notice that our contract would finish at the end of June.

I immediately found a six-month full-time contract and had planned to polish off the remaining contracted work for this month during evenings and weekends. However, they're now asking that I help the new person with the transition: "In terms of the handover, it would be great if you could go through what you do from end to end, and help to explain the [redacted] style? ...go through the technical side of uploading [redacted] too?" When I explained that I'd try to find time but can't guarantee availability during normal working hours, they acted as if I was leaving them in the lurch.

To clarify, they haven't asked me to quote for this transition period, or even asked me if I have availability for anything over and above my usual work. Perhaps I've been too flexible for them in the past, so they've come to expect that I'll be able to fit things in and bill at an hourly rate. But in this case, I don't see that I have any obligation to provide a detailed handover to this person. I was imagining a quick meeting over a lunch hour. I certainly wasn't expecting to have to train them on the CMS.

To make matters worse, looking at the new person's CV, they're basically asking me to transfer fifteen years' experience. This person is about as junior as you can get. Three "freelance" roles for agencies, none longer than a few months. Potentially internships gussied up a bit for LinkedIn. I've looked at their professional blog and there's only university work in the portfolio, plus some poorly designed personal work.

What would you do?

On one hand, there's the fact that I've enjoyed working with some of the people at this client, and they're the ones who are likely to have to pick up the slack if someone in the team isn't able to do the job independently. And on the ethical side, I always try to leave things better than when I found them.

On the other hand, upper management haven't been that great. They only told me the contract was ending once I'd agreed to work over a weekend to fix an emergency of their own creation. And they have a pattern of employing very early career (very cheap!) people to key roles in order to save money, forcing others to work around them.

(I've just written back to them to ask about the level of experience of the person involved, so that I can get a sense of what would be needed in order to transition the work. They don't know that I've researched the person's CV, so I'm keen to find out how they frame this one!)

Send a proposal. Quote more than your current rate but don't take the piss. Detail the deliverables, number of hours and time of day you're available. Be professional. See if you can turn it into an ongoing few hours per month at double your previous hourly rate providing ad hoc support.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of building bridges, staying in touch and keep close to old clients and all that. But:

On the other hand, upper management haven't been that great. They only told me the contract was ending once I'd agreed to work over a weekend to fix an emergency of their own creation. And they have a pattern of employing very early career (very cheap!) people to key roles in order to save money, forcing others to work around them.
      To me, this sounds like a them problem. They know how much it costs to hire a you, either they're foolish or happy to take the risk.

I've had similar conversations and situations - although in ContractorUK terms my rate is average, I'm at the upper end for my skillset and the upper end of seniority so for lots of my clients I'm at the top of what they want to pay. A lot of them, therefore, want to get the most out of me and then get somebody more junior in long term. Common in permie consultancy too - you go in, spin everything up and then handover to somebody else.

And that's fine - I can't impart 16 years of experience any more than you can. I focus on facts and delivering documentation, not training. Training is something very different.

And I think, overall, that's the key thing I'd give you - you need to define it as a handover, and be clear that you are not a trainer.

As for what I would do? I would go back with something like "Hi Client, I'm happy to try and fit in a detailed handover. I would suggest it will take [x] days to handover details of the system in detail blah de blah. However, I must stress that I don't have the time to provide in-depth training on the platform."
      Last edited by vwdan; 8 June 2020, 18:39.

Comment

Do you have a contract, and does it state training in it?

If you want to do the training, and keep those bridges intact, then as suggested above put together a formal proposal for a training plan with timelines of when you'll be able to do do that work around your other commitments.

If you don't give a monkey's about ever seeing them again then say, no it's not in your contract (hopefully!) and you haven't set aside time for it.

TBH most gigs have some form of handover when it all comes to winding things up. You could just document everything and leave them with a two inch-thick manual to read through

Comment

Wouldn't even blink at such a simple and straightforward request. Remember, they're not testing you on how well the recipient 'gets' the information, just that they receive it.

I've trained up school leavers on the way out of my gigs, it's no biggie and it's a nice chance to teach people the ways of the client or technologies in a way you might've liked to learn about them in the first place. Don't pull the ladder up, pay it forward!

Taking things to heart = permies.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I would quote them 10 times usual rate for handover

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I think he's asking what does he do bearing in mind his new gig is going to start so he won't have the time to do this. Does he turn down his new gig and do the handover or does he go do his next gig. Quoting them more doesn't really answer his question I think.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ask them if they can complete out of hours, set up a couple of evenings and do your best to leave them in a good position. Just good business.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                  Wouldn't even blink at such a simple and straightforward request. Remember, they're not testing you on how well the recipient 'gets' the information, just that they receive it.

I've trained up school leavers on the way out of my gigs, it's no biggie and it's a nice chance to teach people the ways of the client or technologies in a way you might've liked to learn about them in the first place. Don't pull the ladder up, pay it forward!

Taking things to heart = permies.
                  Hardly. I've seen permies give no tulips whatsoever about their work because the company would have to give them a nice pay off.

As others have said, whatever's in the current contract is key. If they can drop you at a moment's notice, especially after you've dug them out of a hole, stuff em. But do it politely and on a better rate than you're on now.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I think he's asking what does he do bearing in mind his new gig is going to start so he won't have the time to do this. Does he turn down his new gig and do the handover or does he go do his next gig. Quoting them more doesn't really answer his question I think.
                    When does the new gig start? All I can see is that the current one ends at the end of June. Just use that time.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X