• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outside / Inside / Umbrella / Perm or Bye!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
    The role is not deemed inside. Not sure I can make it any clearer. They do not want to engage any Ltd Co's even if they are Outside as per their own review carried out with EY. This is even if the risk is still with the Ltd Co. and the Ltd Co has had a review and that is legit and they are happy to take on the risk. They have made a new policy as a reaction following on from what other companies are doing etc.

It is really as simple as that!
    If it quacks like a duck...

Comment

The role is not deemed inside. Not sure I can make it any clearer. They do not want to engage any Ltd Co's even if they are Outside as per their own review carried out with EY. This is even if the risk is still with the Ltd Co. and the Ltd Co has had a review and that is legit and they are happy to take on the risk. They have made a new policy as a reaction following on from what other companies are doing etc.

It is really as simple as that!
      Presumably the proposed UmbrellaCo is a LtdCo, so there is a line somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        Presumably the proposed UmbrellaCo is a LtdCo, so there is a line somewhere
        They have not told me yet which Umbrella or if I need to find one. Just been told there is a policy change coming in Sept.

Assume they think this is how they stop HMRC going after them as they can say all contractors go via an Umbrella?!?!
        Last edited by Hawkeye; 10 June 2020, 18:00.

Comment

They have not told me yet which Umbrella or if I need to find one. Just been told there is a policy change coming in Sept.

Assume they think this is how they stop HMRC going after them as they can say all contractors go via an Umbrella?!?!
          They stop them in their tracks by saying they have no limited company contractors.
          If they want to do it another way, they say that we have 200 contractors; we have evaluated them all on an individual basis and on an assessment of their contracts and working practices, we have determined that 45 are outside and 155 are inside. If any have switched from outside to inside, HMRC will be interested to know if anything has changed - if not, they're first on the list. If you were inside as a limited and inside via umbrella, it's ok. Same for double outside. There's nothing to stop your contract via an umbrella being outside.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
            If it quacks like a duck...
            You're making a noise but it certainly isn't duck like unless you have a kazoo up your arse.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              You're making a noise but it certainly isn't duck like unless you have a kazoo up your arse.
              Most of the stuff he posts comes from there kazoo or no kazoo.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                The client doesn't want to work on an outside basis, then what else does it mean?
                It means you should go do some reading to understand the big difference between an inside determination and a client deciding to disengage with PSCs.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Most of the stuff he posts comes from there kazoo or no kazoo.

Sort it out!

Comment

I didn't indicate that. The company has said that they will only take any temporary project resources via Umbrella post Sept.

The contract was 100% legit. The company did their due diligence in March with EY to ensure that they are on side with the law on Inside / Outside. I also did a pre-check before I signed up to anything and also did a full review of working practices. So I do not think there is any fowl play by the company. They are scared of future consequences and have decided as many to avoid the whole saga as far as I can see.
                    If they've used the CEST tool and EY (whose interest is probably to swap out contractors for consultants) and got an outside determination, your vehicle of fee extraction is irrelevant. Bottom line is that you can still be outside IR35 and use an umbrella. One guy told me about someone who was your typical boffin type - brain the size of a planet, no common sense. Probably knew how to split the atom but couldn't file a VAT return because it didn't interest him, i.e. very much on the spectrum. He couldn't be supervised or controlled in any way whatsoever but it was safer for his wellbeing to go via an umbrella. At the rate he was on, I suspect he wasn't bothered about paying proper tax because his take home was still better than most of our quoted rates!! Edge case but yours isn't edge, it's cut and dried. Umbrella, outside from client, fill your boots.

All you might need is reassurance that it will be still be outside via the umbrella.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      If they've used the CEST tool and EY (whose interest is probably to swap out contractors for consultants) and got an outside determination, your vehicle of fee extraction is irrelevant. Bottom line is that you can still be outside IR35 and use an umbrella. One guy told me about someone who was your typical boffin type - brain the size of a planet, no common sense. Probably knew how to split the atom but couldn't file a VAT return because it didn't interest him, i.e. very much on the spectrum. He couldn't be supervised or controlled in any way whatsoever but it was safer for his wellbeing to go via an umbrella. At the rate he was on, I suspect he wasn't bothered about paying proper tax because his take home was still better than most of our quoted rates!! Edge case but yours isn't edge, it's cut and dried. Umbrella, outside from client, fill your boots.

All you might need is reassurance that it will be still be outside via the umbrella.
                      I think that is it really. Reassurance is very true as I am quite cautious and have been given good feedback from friends too outside of the forum.

I have enough proof that the right steps were taken as with all my contracts. Tbh the Umbrella rate isn't horrific and I have spoken to Lucy as recommended on here as well as a few others. You are right that the fee extraction vehicle is irrelevant. It is just a nervous jump at the same client between two methods of pay and as people are saying the risk is low.

Comment

Working...
                      X