• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate cut - 20% salary cut + 10% less hours - Acceptable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate cut - 20% salary cut + 10% less hours - Acceptable?

Been told today all contractors must take a 10% cut in hours (to 36 hours) (which is fine) and also a 20% rate cut. 5-10% rate cut I would consider but 20% seems very high along with the reduced hours.

I know this topic has been discussed recently here but my question is: Is 20% a normal cut to what you have experienced.

Originally posted by jf2010 View Post
    Been told today all contractors must take a 10% cut in hours (to 36 hours) (which is fine) and also a 20% rate cut. 5-10% rate cut I would consider but 20% seems very high along with the reduced hours.

I know this topic has been discussed recently here but my question is: Is 20% a normal cut to what you have experienced.
    Forget what the old rate was. That's gone (probably, you could try negotiating if you are in a very strong position).

How does the new rate stack up against what you could get elsewhere? Could you walk into a contract easily?

You could always accept and then leave when you find something better.

Comment

What other option have you got?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        What other option have you got?

Good question. I just renewed my contract for another 6 months last week, and then get this news today. 2 weeks ago I had an offer of the same full rate for a new client, and refused in the end as I was renewed.

Current situation I am working remotely and a new job is not so appealing. I think I will just go to max 5/10% to attempt to negotiate.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

How does the new rate stack up against what you could get elsewhere? Could you walk into a contract easily?

Pretty bad. I would say 30% less in general. But, no I guess, couldn't walk into a new role as everything is so up in the air right now and slow.

Comment

You have two counter options: either 20% cut but no reduced hours, or lower rate cut with reduced hours.

Decide whether you can / will walk but don't mention walking in your negotiation or else you'll put the idea in their mind and they may just bin you off regardless.

If you can't walk, start looking, get a new gig then walk. Check your notice period.

Comment

Good question. I just renewed my contract for another 6 months last week, and then get this news today. 2 weeks ago I had an offer of the same full rate for a new client, and refused in the end as I was renewed.

Current situation I am working remotely and a new job is not so appealing. I think I will just go to max 5/10% to attempt to negotiate.
              When working from home you can do multiplie contracts, start the other one also

Are you on an hourly rate? That’s a bit strange

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I'm on an hourly rate. First time in 16 years...Not so strange in "The Industry" I'm in...
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Have you got leverage or do you feel lucky to be there? That'll give you your answer.

There are exceptions, always.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Current situation I am working remotely and a new job is not so appealing.
                    Was the original contract on site?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X