• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
    ...The client are friends and customers of mine, they are a property development firm and they pay promptly. (They do payment runs to suppliers fortnightly).
    Ok, so I have a question: why would a "property development firm" have any use for Docker?

This would seem to be a needless complication to an office architecture and that will likely cost more money and introduce more infrastructure risk to their operating model in the long-term.

Seems odd.

What is the use case?

Last edited by wattaj; 26 June 2020, 09:39. Reason: Speillng.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      Ok, so I have a question: why would a "property development firm" have any use for Docker?

This would seem to be a needless complication to an office architecture and that will likely cost more money, and introduce more infrastructure risk, to their operating model in the long-term.

Seems odd.

What is the use case?

It sounds like the client is not technically minded and someone has told them that Docker is the latest and greatest technology and they should utilise that, without taking the time to actually understand their needs.

If all you've got is a hammer....

Comment

I'm shocked people are saying £750 p/day for Docker, it's a commodity skill that a decent first year could pick up in about 2 weeks (I've seen many do it).

A perm equivalent rate for a docker consultant would be £40/50k so if you are getting £750 a day for this good luck to you, but you are robbing the client blind and you'll get pulled-up on it one day very soon

Comment

Originally posted by oilboil View Post
          I'm shocked people are saying £750 p/day for Docker, it's a commodity skill that a decent first year could pick up in about 2 weeks (I've seen many do it).

A perm equivalent rate for a docker consultant would be £40/50k so if you are getting £750 a day for this good luck to you, but you are robbing the client blind and you'll get pulled-up on it one day very soon
          OP said good. The definition of good does vary considerably in IT.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
          X