• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate question

Whats the going rate for a good Docker chap or chapess?

Does anyone of this parish want a few days Docker work sometime in the next few weeks?

Job is to setup docker and run a few people through deploying images, administration etc
    Client will accept everything being done remotely.
    The client's site is not currently social distancing "safe".
    The client are friends and customers of mine, they are a property development firm and they pay promptly. (They do payment runs to suppliers fortnightly).
    They will want a reference or two.
    I am taking a small commission for the placement (A good bottle of scotch if anyone is that interested)
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

I’m too busy to help, but to answer the direct question you should expect to pay £500 a day minimum for someone who can do the work, document and be able to handover and train.
    Budget for 500-650 and you’ll find what you want.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      I’m too busy to help, but to answer the direct question you should expect to pay £500 a day minimum for someone who can do the work, document and be able to handover and train.
      Budget for 500-650 and you’ll find what you want.
      Thank You
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

£500 sounds way too little for a Docker-Dicker, particularly for a short term ad hoc contract.

I'd suggest closer to £750
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Up my street, but as said, for ad-hoc it's 700+, but does depend on complexities.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
            Up my street, but as said, for ad-hoc it's 700+, but does depend on complexities.
            Accenture would charge 2K plus for each of a team and project manager to do this

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
              Accenture would charge 2K plus for each of a team and project manager to do this
              You would get a free intern for added value.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
                And their team will probably learn alongside yours during the exercise... win-win.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                  And their team will probably expect you to train them for free during the exercise... win-lose.
                  FYP.

Comment

Even the higher end of the scale sounds low if you consider TCO, but it depends on what you're doing with them.

If someone's deploying a static site that doesn't store any data, fair enough, but if you're actually using docker for anything useful, you need to consider compliance and change control.
                    • Writing Dockerfiles. Best practices, et all. Image layering, multi-stage, minimal targets, establishing trust, don't be root, etc.
                    • Committing them and controlling them via SDLC. Adding assurance such as protected branches and peer review, so one single silly admin doesn't have rights to push dockerrepo/reverseTunnel:sh
                    • CI/CD to deliver them to docker server; removes issue of deploying wrong image either maliciously or accidentally. Adding tests
                    • Target Deployment: hardening, threat modelling, environment strategy, patching, finOps.
                    • Protective monitoring: what to do when dockerrepo/reverseTunnel:sh is deployed. How to detect and stop it.

Given that docker itself is almost the easiest thing in the world, if someone is buying training I'm going to assume they don't have the SDLC down. I can bootstrap and upskill a team to do this for you longer term but I'd be asking £1300.

Comment

Working...
                    X