• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accepting an offer before being able to weigh other options?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accepting an offer before being able to weigh other options?

Had an interview for a 6 week contract; Got another interview a day after for a 6 month contract.

If I get the offer for the 6 week contract offer soon, the recruiter is going to be on my case about getting the offer accepted ASAP; However you would certainly want to be able to weigh all options before accepting espeically when you could land a 6 month one.

I guess the options would be:

1. Reject the current offer (6 week contract) and hope you land the second offer (6 month+ contract). You've done the first stage and it's now the second-stage but This is a gamble!.

2. Verbally accept the offer and decline it, if the second offer came through. You will be burning bridges.

3. Take on both contracts! Doable, but would be so hard to mange if the workload is high and meetings clash. This could be chaotic!
    Last edited by cyborg1337; 15 June 2020, 13:17.

Originally posted by cyborg1337 View Post
    Had an interview for a 6 week contract; Got another interview a day after for a 6 month contract.

If I get the offer for the 6 week contract offer soon, the recruiter is going to be on my case about getting the offer accepted ASAP; However you would certainly want to be able to weigh all options before accepting espeically when you could land a 6 month one.

1. Reject the current offer (6 week contract) and hope you land the second offer (6 month+ contract). You've done the first stage and it's now the second-stage but This is a gamble!.

2. Verbally accept the offer and decline it, if the second offer came through. You will be burning bridges.

3. Take on both contracts! Doable, but would be so hard to mange if the workload is high and meetings clash. This could be chaotic!

Comment

Tell them you accept subject to a contract check. This can take up to 5 days at present (which they can as that's QDOS's SLA) and you've then got a bit of breathing space. Agent is convinced you'll sign but you've got the caveat to get out. He won't be happy to say the least but it's as per your statement so techncially you've done nothing wrong. It's not a definitive verbal or written acceptance so you've not breached or anything.

If the second offer takes more than 5 days then you are going to have to suffer the agents pressure until you can't delay it anymore.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cyborg1337 View Post

I've been in this situation before.

I've done option 2. before. Yes, its not good especially if not done well. So try to be upfront as much as you can so you can avoid burning bridges.

Personally, I'd go with option 4. just say you are awaiting for another offer from your 6 month contract so you can weigh up your options. If your agent is understanding then he/she should allow that, of course, normally companies/agents would give you no longer than 1 - 2 days to think things through. At the same time, tell your 6 month contract opportunity that you already have an offer so hopefully that will give them a nudge to speed things up. This trick will 90% of time work well. I've recently done it a few months back when I was in this exact position. This relies on your part to carefully coordinate the timeline of events. Stressful & time consuming & demanding I know but once you to stage of multiple offers - its a nice problem to have!

I certainly wouldn't take option 1. As well as that being high risk, you're banking on/preconceive idea that your 6 month contract is the ideal one. And if you don't get that then you are *£$% having already rejecedt first offer (unless that offer is so bad anyway such that no point in pursuing further).

Option 3 is practically not feasible tbh, given that contracting work is unlike traditional freelance jobs. Contracts are expected of contractors to give their 100% effort & time in doing a 9-5 job.

Comment

Pivot:

Push the 6 weeks offer to start tomorrow, tell the 6 month one (if it comes in a week or so) that you have 2 weeks holiday scheduled. That, with the 3-4 weeks it takes to get things up and running, leaves you with a 6 week gap to complete the 1st!

Cake + eat it.

M

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
            I've been in this situation before.

I've done option 2. before. Yes, its not good especially if not done well. So try to be upfront as much as you can so you can avoid burning bridges.

Personally, I'd go with option 4. just say you are awaiting for another offer from your 6 month contract so you can weigh up your options. If your agent is understanding then he/she should allow that, of course, normally companies/agents would give you no longer than 1 - 2 days to think things through. At the same time, tell your 6 month contract opportunity that you already have an offer so hopefully that will give them a nudge to speed things up. This trick will 90% of time work well. I've recently done it a few months back when I was in this exact position. This relies on your part to carefully coordinate the timeline of events. Stressful & time consuming & demanding I know but once you to stage of multiple offers - its a nice problem to have!

I certainly wouldn't take option 1. As well as that being high risk, you're banking on/preconceive idea that your 6 month contract is the ideal one. And if you don't get that then you are *£$% having already rejecedt first offer (unless that offer is so bad anyway such that no point in pursuing further).

Option 3 is practically not feasible tbh, given that contracting work is unlike traditional freelance jobs. Contracts are expected of contractors to give their 100% effort & time in doing a 9-5 job.
            Going to have to disagree on that. Agent would just tell the client you've declined but candidate two is available at £x/day lower. Goes to candidate 2, tells them that if they do something on rate, he can get them to first in the queue.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by mjcp View Post
              Pivot:

Push the 6 weeks offer to start tomorrow, tell the 6 month one (if it comes in a week or so) that you have 2 weeks holiday scheduled. That, with the 3-4 weeks it takes to get things up and running, leaves you with a 6 week gap to complete the 1st!

Cake + eat it.

M
              Interesting suggestions guys.

With a bit of good negoationing ang managing timelines this would indeed be the ideal scenario.

Comment

Use the contract review time to weigh up your options.

I did this once, I had a contract 'in the bag' which became my Plan B after something more interesting came along. I opened up a 5 day review period and... the better prospect didn't amount to anything. I took the plan B and it went on forever.

Remember; short contracts extend just as often as long contracts have notice served upon them to finish early there is no shame in taking a 'bird in the hand' over two in the bush.

Remember you also have one option now while everything is 100% remote - do both! You'll need to be firm about unavailable time when you're double booked.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

You only have one offer at the moment, so there is no decision to be made
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    Use the contract review time to weigh up your options.

I did this once, I had a contract 'in the bag' which became my Plan B after something more interesting came along. I opened up a 5 day review period and... the better prospect didn't amount to anything. I took the plan B and it went on forever.

Remember; short contracts extend just as often as long contracts have notice served upon them to finish early there is no shame in taking a 'bird in the hand' over two in the bush.

Remember you also have one option now while everything is 100% remote - do both! You'll need to be firm about unavailable time when you're double booked.
                    This is much easier to achieve if both clients are deliverables focussed, not time focussed.

Comment

Working...
                    X