• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contractor - when do I get paid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    ???? I've *never* heard of an Umbrella paying this way - its just the base and additional amounts split on payslips.

From where do you "understand" this?
    Just to clear things up in my mind what is the base and what are additional amounts? As I said I've never worked via an Umbrella so could easily have got the wrong end of the stick when reading posts on here.

Comment

Originally posted by rik sherman View Post
      Just to clear things up in my mind what is the base and what are additional amounts? As I said I've never worked via an Umbrella so could easily have got the wrong end of the stick when reading posts on here.
      An Umbrella payslip will often split the total amount into a base pay (minimum wage) and additional amount (sometimes labelled as a bonus) but I've never heard of anyone getting those two parts across multiple payslips/timeframes.

Comment

Originally posted by rik sherman View Post
        some will have a retainers, so you get 90% of your day rate and 10% at the end of the contract

some will have holiday pay

some will have pension

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
          some will have a retainers, so you get 90% of your day rate and 10% at the end of the contract

some will have holiday pay

some will have pension
          And if they do this... Run... Run very fast.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            And if they do this... increase your quote by one ninth.
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by oilboil View Post
              In answer to the question "when will I get paid?" I can't give a better answer than two you have already had.

1) It depends
              2) What does the contract say

I can give some examples though:

I've doen work for a company for years that I invoice whenever I get to 10 days work done (do days as and when required) - generally paid by return
              I've done work for a Big-4 as an independent; invoice at end of month for days worked, paid 60 days later
              I've done work for a large Oil company; invoice at end of month, paid exactly 30 days later never a minute late
              I've also done work where the client went "pop" and never got a bean
              I've also done work where the contract says 30 days but they pay at about 40 days every time
              Also done fixed price work where half is paid on start and the rest 3 months after work is completed - this type is a pain for cashflow, but if managed well can be very lucrative

I've never been lucky enough to find a decent rate gig that will pay weekly.
              Overall, in terms of your answer, pretty much the same as mine; a qualified "it depends".

With reference to the item I've bolded - many IBs do weekly, but that's generally because the agencies are happy to accept the terms and know the banks are good for it. In effect the agencies are providing a "free" invoice factoring service for you. They'll still get paid on 30/60/90 day terms but know that the big banks won't not pay (excuse the double negative!)
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The main annoyance, for me, with more frequent payment periods is the extra paperwork - four invoices a month vs one is a whole extra 15 minutes of effort.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  The main annoyance, for me, with more frequent payment periods is the extra paperwork - four invoices a month vs one is a whole extra 15 minutes of effort.
                  Any time I've had weekly timesheets and invoicing, the agency has operated a self-invoicing system. But I'd always take the extra paperwork for improved cashflow / reduced risk of non-payment.

Comment

It depends on the agency and the terms of your contract.

My previous contract was a month payment terms but the agency had their own auto-billing system and they raised the invoice on a Wednesday for the previous week. Then I would be paid after 30 days on a Friday.

My current contract is 7 days payment terms. I raise the invoice on a Friday and they pay next Friday.

Comment

I don't know if I agree that you shouldn't switch to contract work right now. It depends what contract opportunity you get. Definitely don't quit your job and then start looking for a contract role. I would only quit if the opportunity aligned well. If you get a contract role now in a company that isn't impacted by covid-19 or is positively impacted by covid-19 and the work is likely for 1+ years and the day rate is great and it's going to stay outside ir35 come april 2021 then why not go for it.

As far as when you get paid obviously its contract by contract as others have stated. I am being paid weekly with 10 day terms but I have also been paid monthly with 30 day terms and had a client who I had to chase for 60 days past due so that was 4 months before I got paid from that one. tulip happens but I'd imagine 90% or more contracts will have you paid within 60 days of start as that covers the majority of payments terms/situations.

Comment

Working...
                      X