• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone Worried?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I documented my job offer saga elsewhere in this forum.

Basically I was offered a permie job in March, I got all the paperwork in May then they turned round and said they would no longer hire me. It's currently edging towards an employment tribunal [if anyone else is in the same situation you can generally sue for breach of contract - imagine how much it would have sucked had I left a job then discovered I was un-furloughable].

I had one other interview since, but they didn't send me the video conference invite, then got a sarky email when I didn't show up on the call. I should have sued them too.

I've had occasional agent phone calls, but less than one a fortnight. The calls are mostly for places in the middle of nowhere, or companies that are insisting on everyone works in the office (not sure I like the sound of that).

I'm in C#. Or rather I was. I've now been offered a place on a masters course which means I have a year of relative certainty .

Comment

Originally posted by DrGUID View Post
      I documented my job offer saga elsewhere in this forum.

Basically I was offered a permie job in March, I got all the paperwork in May then they turned round and said they would no longer hire me. It's currently edging towards an employment tribunal [if anyone else is in the same situation you can generally sue for breach of contract - imagine how much it would have sucked had I left a job then discovered I was un-furloughable].

I had one other interview since, but they didn't send me the video conference invite, then got a sarky email when I didn't show up on the call. I should have sued them too.

I've had occasional agent phone calls, but less than one a fortnight. The calls are mostly for places in the middle of nowhere, or companies that are insisting on everyone works in the office (not sure I like the sound of that).

I'm in C#. Or rather I was. I've now been offered a place on a masters course which means I have a year of relative certainty .
      Wow you must be good at golf

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

If I had the money/time/intelligence and opportunity a bit of post-graduate study sounds like a fair way to sit the next year out.

Comment

Don't forget to put on your CompoFace!
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Well, a disappointing end to the week just as things started looking up.

Got myself a phone interview with pwc Friday afternoon. Agent couldn’t confirm the time but said it would be sometime between 3pm and 6pm.

So there I am on tenterhooks surrounded by some hastily scrawled crib sheets and then it’s 6pm and still no call. Spoke to agent but seems client has temporarily gone awol.

Frustrating to say the least.

Comment

So pwc are basically like your average courier? Turn up when they please and you're supposed to be grateful?

Don't keep your best eggs in that basket.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                So pwc are basically like your average courier? Turn up when they please and you're supposed to be grateful?

Don't keep your best eggs in that basket.
                Problem is the lack of baskets at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  Problem is the lack of baskets at the moment.
                  Well yes, exactly.

It’s the only basket that’s come my way in 3 months so all my eggs are going in it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tartan Cottage View Post
                    Well, a disappointing end to the week just as things started looking up.

Got myself a phone interview with pwc Friday afternoon. Agent couldn’t confirm the time but said it would be sometime between 3pm and 6pm.

So there I am on tenterhooks surrounded by some hastily scrawled crib sheets and then it’s 6pm and still no call. Spoke to agent but seems client has temporarily gone awol.

Frustrating to say the least.
                    Well I finally got the call. It seemed to be one of those chats just to establish that we’re on the same page before a more rigorous interview that will take place in the next day or two.

Eggs are still in that one basket.

Comment

Things are still "unreal" to be honest, just dropping my work kit back to an "aviation related" client tomorrow, I actually really liked them, pity the industry has tanked. Not a bad client, only contractor standing in May which was a decidedly Donald Sutherland invasion of the body snatchers moment at remote meetings...

Pwc (having worked for them) are really often no more than an agency where they (that is the partners) get a cut of your rate especially if you're a multi skilled contractor (front end/backend/middle/cloud etc, or a BA/PM/Process) add in the IP and knowhow you've gained in various industries and someone like PWC/Arthur Anderson(... sorry they've been liquidated) , Baring Point (see my username and you'll get the idea) and you're essentially working for an agency who'll leech your IP out of you and re-sell it.

These businesses would often have to use 2-3 maybe even 4 FTE at 0.5/0.6 to compensate for an experienced contractor, so don't sell yourself short.

Current market , Fair enough, but current market is a very poor time to be trading 10-20 years IP to swap for a gig that's going to leech sorry steal all your IP and drop you once they don't need you anymore.

I'm getting decidedly better at gardening and arabic (Pimsleur)

cheers
                      Barely

Comment

Working...
                      X