• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone Worried?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oilboil View Post
    I've had work from the framework, it helps if you can frame your services in the way a consultancy would and if you can offer more than just a bum-on-seat programmer or analyst resource. You need to be able to showcase ability to manage complex programs, develop strategies and handle C-level discussions

It's not for everyone, and if you haven't got a decent pocket-book of people you can bring in to team with you working under your limited company then you'll get nowhere, but if you win one of these gigs they are extremely lucrative
    I won a G-Cloud gig 3 years ago, hard lesson, made some , squandered most with some crappy colleagues, its certainly not fair, there is huge canvassing going on, our IP was our key USP which it still is, but the contract was awarded on best match to delivery a systems upgrade, which any old boots could have done, tbh , I'm almost ready to give up on G-cloud as the other two directors in our shared LTD did sweet FA , I'll probably still apply for the next one - due soon, but it's very difficult to pick what's going through the minds of the public sector purchasers ....... if anything...........

Comment

Originally posted by barely_pointless View Post
      Things are still "unreal" to be honest, just dropping my work kit back to an "aviation related" client tomorrow, I actually really liked them, pity the industry has tanked. Not a bad client, only contractor standing in May which was a decidedly Donald Sutherland invasion of the body snatchers moment at remote meetings...

Pwc (having worked for them) are really often no more than an agency where they (that is the partners) get a cut of your rate especially if you're a multi skilled contractor (front end/backend/middle/cloud etc, or a BA/PM/Process) add in the IP and knowhow you've gained in various industries and someone like PWC/Arthur Anderson(... sorry they've been liquidated) , Baring Point (see my username and you'll get the idea) and you're essentially working for an agency who'll leech your IP out of you and re-sell it.

These businesses would often have to use 2-3 maybe even 4 FTE at 0.5/0.6 to compensate for an experienced contractor, so don't sell yourself short.

Current market , Fair enough, but current market is a very poor time to be trading 10-20 years IP to swap for a gig that's going to leech sorry steal all your IP and drop you once they don't need you anymore.

I'm getting decidedly better at gardening and arabic (Pimsleur)

cheers
      Barely
      Thanks Barley, or perhaps I should say shukraan

As an ex pwc contractor, do you know if it’s still necessary to undergo the Cooperisation process as part of your onboarding?

It was the stuff of legend back in the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tartan Cottage View Post
        Thanks Barley, or perhaps I should say shukraan

As an ex pwc contractor, do you know if it’s still necessary to undergo the Cooperisation process as part of your onboarding?

It was the stuff of legend back in the 90s.
        It's been a while since I worked for them , but my program director was excellent and I did not have any major issues with them in the UK, I actually thought they were good to work for, but that was almost 15 years ago, more recently, 8 years ago, I worked with and for a company very near my username, Barely Pointless in Australia, now these guys were the business, complete C you next Tuesdays, every trick in the book, late payment, dodgy requirements, as you say, co-operation IP disclosure, client history disclosure (no me acquerdo ), it almost gets farcical when you meet the partners, as they know you know they know you know that they're basically trying to screw you, which gets real fun as they need you more than you need them close to a project closing.

Delightful and stressful at the same time. Be careful!

Comment

Well it looks like my pwc opportunity has fizzled out. They wanted to do a second interview within a couple of days but 1 week later and they’re not returning the agent’s calls.

Thinking it’s time to start stacking shelves. Damage limitation.

Comment

Well it looks like my pwc opportunity has fizzled out. They wanted to do a second interview within a couple of days but 1 week later and they’re not returning the agent’s calls.

The big 4's (their clients) are stopping projects like never before. Even if you were in as a contractor, the chances are that the contract would have been terminated within a month or so. It happened to me couple of months ago. They haven't even bothered to collect their laptop yet from me. Will be mailing them tomorrow.

Did they or Agent give you any reason?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
              The big 4's (their clients) are stopping projects like never before. Even if you were in as a contractor, the chances are that the contract would have been terminated within a month or so. It happened to me couple of months ago. They haven't even bothered to collect their laptop yet from me. Will be mailing them tomorrow.

Did they or Agent give you any reason?
              No, the agent doesn’t think it’s dead and is trying to get hold of them. After 7 days, I can’t help feeling it’s not going to fly.

Regarding your other comment, the project is related to corporate car leasing. Don’t know how that’s holding up in the current climate. Not good is my assumption.

Comment

Cancel all non-critical subscriptions like Netflix, gym, cinema and such. Stack up on cheap, long-lasting food like rice, beans, quinoa etc. Put your debit cards away so you're not tempted to spend. Withdraw a fixed amount of cash at the beginning of each month and use that instead.

Market is absolutely brutal so keep your expectations low. I've been on the bench for 3 months now. Other pros I know are in similar situation.
                Tailor your CV to each particular role to stand out. Reach out to your old clients and contacts. Keep fighting.

Demand is slowly picking up but it will take time.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBrown11 View Post
                  Cancel all non-critical subscriptions like Netflix, gym, cinema and such. Stack up on cheap, long-lasting food like rice, beans, quinoa etc. Put your debit cards away so you're not tempted to spend. Withdraw a fixed amount of cash at the beginning of each month and use that instead.

Market is absolutely brutal so keep your expectations low. I've been on the bench for 3 months now. Other pros I know are in similar situation.
                  Tailor your CV to each particular role to stand out. Reach out to your old clients and contacts. Keep fighting.

Demand is slowly picking up but it will take time.
                  Yes, I’m in the process of doing that. It’s the things like income protection and critical illness that I’m umming and aahing over. And my medical plus dental cover. That’s £350 pm for that little lot together.

Essential or not? I’m beginning to think the latter because this whole thing is now existential.

Very, very frightening.

Comment

Yes, I’m in the process of doing that. It’s the things like income protection and critical illness that I’m umming and aahing over. And my medical plus dental cover. That’s £350 pm for that little lot together.

Essential or not? I’m beginning to think the latter because this whole thing is now existential.

Very, very frightening.
                    Claim on your income protection surly ?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Claim on your income protection surly ?
                      How? It only pays out if I’m incapacitated for medical reasons.

Are there policies that pay out for lack of work? Premiums must be astronomical.

Comment

Working...
                      X