• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone Worried?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    There is also huge lobby to take as much profit away from you as possible. Everyone is looking to pinch some of that hard earned money. The biggest leech is of course the taxman who thanks to the IR35 changes will be entitled to over 50% of what you make at current market rates and then you have multiple intermediaries, each wanting some of the fruits of your hard work.
    At one point you realise there is no more sense in devoting time and energy into upskilling when most of the effects of that hard work will be enjoyed by people who didn't even lift a finger.
    Yes, some very good points in your post.

In my last contract, the company blanketed everyone inside IR35 and said everyone was to go through a preferred supplier which wasn’t the agency I was contracted through.

So, because of a 6 month handcuff clause, I had to stick with the original agency but still go through the preferred supplier for timesheets and billing. So the rate increases we were promised as a result of going inside IR35 were a damp squib to say the least as the client had to cut in a new player.

Anyhow, none of this materialised in the end because of certain events.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I have been very lucky in my 15 years of contracting (yeah, I know, still a noob) but I have no illusions that I'm superior to anyone else. I've been in the right place at the right time, my face has fitted in certain environments, and I've made some good contacts with people who like the way I work. One day that will dry up and I don't know if that day will come on Tuesday when I'm having a 'catch up' with the person who brought me into their current client, or some time in the future.

I have always been open to going back to permie work; I just haven't needed to go down that path nor been magically presented with that £150k role that requires minimal effort and comes with final salary pension, 40 days holiday (+bank holidays) and other fluff.
      Yeah, but you also aren’t banging on about IR35 with every single post and claiming that everything and everyone is working against poor downtrodden you. Some people around here need to wake up. Contracting isn’t for everyone. If contracting isn’t working, do something else. Become a permie, upskill, ditch agents, whatever, but don’t whine endlessly about IR35. Or create a million sockies that talk to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Yeah, but you also aren’t banging on about IR35 with every single post and claiming that everything and everyone is working against poor downtrodden you. Some people around here need to wake up. Contracting isn’t for everyone. If contracting isn’t working, do something else. Become a permie, upskill, ditch agents, whatever, but don’t whine endlessly about IR35. Or create a million sockies that talk to each other.
        Great example of gatekeeping you did here.

Comment

As a gatekeeper myself, I’m beginning to get ticked with the gricer sock stable polluting the Professional forums.

Stay in General or find your sockies permabanned.

Thread closed.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
          X