Anyone Worried? Anyone Worried?
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 114

Thread: Anyone Worried?

  1. #1

    Banned


    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    59

    Default Anyone Worried?

    About finding another contract?

    I see there’s a bit of bravado on here and I don’t want to look like a wee fearty but my resources are finite. I can last a year and that’s it and judging on the market activity of the past 3 months I’m not going to find anything in that time.

    I’m worried, it keeps me awake at night and I’m hoping for some positive words.
    Last edited by The Tartan Cottage; 27th June 2020 at 12:05.

  2. #2

    Godlike

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,852

    Default

    It'll all be absolutely fine, there are loads of jobs coming up.

  3. #3

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    221

    Default

    There is no need to worry. Look at the skillset they are asking for the type of job roles you seek. Find the gaps and focus on building it during this time.

    All you need is a finite set of improvement areas, focus and a bit of perseverance.

    It works! It worked for me

  4. #4

    Banned


    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDataPro View Post
    There is no need to worry. Look at the skillset they are asking for the type of job roles you seek. Find the gaps and focus on building it during this time.

    All you need is a finite set of improvement areas, focus and a bit of perseverance.

    It works! It worked for me
    Yes I can spend a lot of time doing that (and I do) but I worry it’s all going to be in vain because I’m just not seeing much to apply for and I’d be better moving my focus to a different income stream. I’m 56 and I travelled the length and breadth of this country eking out a living in the financial crisis. I just don’t have the stomach for that any more. Though I might have when I’m down to my last £1000....

    None of this was in my script!

  5. #5

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    3,092

    Default

    My take is that people are still very much in "lockdown" mode - employers, and therefore businesses seem to be very low on motivation and are operating in "keep the lights on" mode. None of my permie mates who aren't furloughed seem to be doing a fat lot, and the ones who were have only just started going back in. Everybody, including companies, seem to be just existing right now and not much else.

    My guess is that over the next month or two we'll see a fairly rapid return to near normal in those terms - not to say it's going to be pretty, but I don't think right here and right now is indicative of what's to come.

    And while contractors are often the first out, we're also often the first in when it comes to spinning up new projects or picking up old ones.

    If you had another 4 weeks warchest I'd worry, but I reckon most will have found something in the next 3 months.
    Last edited by vwdan; 26th June 2020 at 18:41.

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors

    BlueSharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Tartan Cottage View Post
    About finding another contract?

    I see there’s a bit of bravado on here and I don’t want to look like a wee fearty but my resources are finite. I can last a year and that’s it and judging on the market activity of the past 3 months I’m not going to find anything in that time.

    I’m worried, it keeps me asleep at night and I’m hoping for some positive words.
    Times are tough, but so are you.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

  7. #7

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    My big concern is every contract I am on paper otherwise qualified for seems to require SC clearance, which suggests either public sector a private sector supplying the public sector. Last I checked they weren't even processing SCs so it is basically a closed shop.

    Deeply concerning times.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Tartan Cottage View Post
    About finding another contract?

    I see there’s a bit of bravado on here and I don’t want to look like a wee fearty but my resources are finite. I can last a year and that’s it and judging on the market activity of the past 3 months I’m not going to find anything in that time.

    I’m worried, it keeps me asleep at night and I’m hoping for some positive words.
    Drink alcohol, let’s you sleep better


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  9. #9

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Drink alcohol, let’s you sleep better
    Or a vigorous spanking of the monkey.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  10. #10

    Banned


    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    My big concern is every contract I am on paper otherwise qualified for seems to require SC clearance, which suggests either public sector a private sector supplying the public sector. Last I checked they weren't even processing SCs so it is basically a closed shop.

    Deeply concerning times.
    My SC expired December last year (Because last role where it was active finished Dec 2018).

    Since they’re unable to process new applications, I was just wondering if they’d amended the rules around this as they did with MOTs and granted an extra year’s idle time before it expired.

    Wishful thinking, I guess....

    Edit: From my own research, the answer appears to be no.
    Last edited by The Tartan Cottage; 27th June 2020 at 10:20.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •