• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weekend and Holiday Hour/Day Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Dunno why everybody is letting themselves get done over!

1.5x for Saturdays, 2x Sundays & Bank Holidays for me
    I charge x per day. Other charge 80% of x per day. Are they letting themselves get done over?

But to be fair, I might do something similar if it was a routine occurrence.

Comment

Dunno why everybody is letting themselves get done over!

1.5x for Saturdays, 2x Sundays & Bank Holidays for me
      Oh how very permie daaahhling. Pass me the tea now would you.

Question is, how many clients would pay that and if they won't do you not work? Does that differentiate between one offs or standard over a period of time?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Question is, how many clients would pay that and if they won't do you not work? Does that differentiate between one offs or standard over a period of time?
        Maybe I've missed the mark in understanding the thread, but it doesn't come up that often - but those are the rates people get when they request I work weekends. It's not a routine occurrence, though, nor an "expected" part of my roles.

But that is genuinely what I work to for weekend/holiday works - most clients pay it, some choose to find an alternative such as asking me to "standby" instead. And that's fine, I'd rather my weekend. No, I won't do it for less - though I will work to some kind of time in lieu if it makes it easier for them to swallow (I.e., work a Sunday, but take two days off).

I honestly can't fathom why people would would work weekends for their usual rate. I've certainly never done it as a permie consultant, and I've never known a consultancy charge normal rates for OOH either.

Personally, for me, this thread doesn't represent my experience at all.
        Last edited by vwdan; 30 June 2020, 10:46.

Comment

Maybe I've missed the mark in understanding the thread, but it doesn't come up that often - but those are the rates people get when they request I work weekends. It's not a routine occurrence, though, nor an "expected" part of my roles.

But that is genuinely what I work to for weekend/holiday works - most clients pay it, some choose to find an alternative such as asking me to "standby" instead. And that's fine, I'd rather my weekend. No, I won't do it for less - though I will work to some kind of time in lieu if it makes it easier for them to swallow (I.e., work a Sunday, but take two days off).

I honestly can't fathom why people would would work weekends for their usual rate. I've certainly never done it as a permie consultant, and I've never known a consultancy charge normal rates for OOH either.

Personally, for me, this thread doesn't represent my experience at all.
          I work weekends etc. at normal rate as I'm working on "stuff" which is part of the national response to Covid. And the client has been good enough to invite me to bill 1.25 days for a 10 hour day. And as I'm now WFH, I've swapped my 3 hour commute for billable time / free time. Within that context, it would seem pretty unclassy to request more money for weekends etc.

By maybe if it was routine, I might do what you do. Horses for courses etc.

Comment

I was paid 50% higher

But never did work a weekend or holiday. The client themselves put in the 50% premium clause. Good old days.

Although why should the same work cost more is beyond me. I would generally choose to decline work on weekends. But if I could work then why extra?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I've always charged same rate but I've seen lots of large consulting companies charge higher rates for weekend/bank holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I've had contracts with premiums for out of hours working. Usually 1.5x for outside normal working day, and 2x for unsocial hours (Sunday and between midnight and 6am). But usually, you should just expect to round it into your normal rate.
                Thanks for all the responses - it seems that there is a mix as expected depending on the nature of the work.

This isn't for me but for several subcontractors that I will be taking under my wing on an upcoming programme. What NAT stated is what I was thinking as the client hasn't shared what work will need to be done outside of normal weekdays and how often it will be at this point. If it becomes a regular occurrence then the standard rate should go up as usually all weekend and holiday work needs to be pre-approved by ClientCo inc. how many hours will be charged. This will cause the person at ClientCo signing off this additional cost a headache each time it hits their inbox as it becomes additional spend to justify to their higher ups.
                Last edited by redgiant; 30 June 2020, 21:55.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
                  Thanks for all the responses - it seems that there is a mix as expected depending on the nature of the work.

This isn't for me but for several subcontractors that I will be taking under my wing on an upcoming programme. What NAT stated is what I was thinking as the client hasn't shared what work will need to be done outside of normal weekdays and how often it will be at this point. If it becomes a regular occurrence then the standard rate should go up as usually all weekend and holiday work needs to be pre-approved by ClientCo inc. how many hours will be charged. This will cause the person at ClientCo signing off this additional cost a headache each time it hits their inbox as it becomes additional spend to justify to their higher ups.
                  What I've found is that when I'm working on migration projects the client expects weekend work, and that means they don't want to pay more for that.

What you should really do though is deal with this as part of the negotiation. Like all things price related, it's too late to once you've agreed, so you need to deal with it right at the beginning.
                  ie. you want say £600 a day, but they pressure you to drop to £550. At that point you might say OK, but I want 1.5x for Sat and 2x for Sun, and also charge those weekends hourly rather than daily.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    I've always charged same rate but I've seen lots of large consulting companies charge higher rates for weekend/bank holidays.
                    I'd be interested to know if there's a difference of opinion between people who have worked with/for consultancies, or come up through the consulting permie path. I've just been through a few Scope of Works for consultancy clients that I've put together and most of them make clear that the scope and costs are for a Mon - Friday working day and I really can't see any of them doing weekend work for the same cost.

Certainly my old permie consultancy outright sought to price themselves out of most weekend work, and gave the majority of the rate to the consultant.

Interesting thread for me, as I'd always assumed everybody worked the same way
                    Last edited by vwdan; 1 July 2020, 09:49.

Comment

Working...
                    X