• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weekend and Holiday Hour/Day Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend and Holiday Hour/Day Rates

I'm putting together a work order for a client of mine for several consultant positions and wanted to check up if it is normal these days to charge the same day/hour rate for weekend and holidays as normal working days? Is there a difference between the UK and EU countries? My client's understanding is that everyone should work at the same rate no matter where or when.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
    I'm putting together a work order for a client of mine for several consultant positions and wanted to check up if it is normal these days to charge the same day/hour rate for weekend and holidays as normal working days? Is there a difference between the UK and EU countries? My client's understanding is that everyone should work at the same rate no matter where or when.

Thanks in advance.
    I charge the same hourly rate weekends, bank holidays in and evenings as I do for standard hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      I charge the same hourly rate weekends, bank holidays in and evenings as I do for standard hours.
      Same.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Same

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Yes, normal for contracting these days (in IT at least).

Comment

If there was a need to work Christmas or New Year's Day, then I would look for more.

Comment

it depends.

a) What will the client be willing to pay?
              b) will the consultants expect more money for weekend work?

If the client has already said no, I'm not sure what answers you expect.

If you want to push them harder then tell them that it costs more, and if they insist on the same rate then you'll put up rates across the board to meet your additional costs.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I've had contracts with premiums for out of hours working. Usually 1.5x for outside normal working day, and 2x for unsocial hours (Sunday and between midnight and 6am). But usually, you should just expect to round it into your normal rate.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It also depends on the client and project.

Normally I would charge 1 day for a PWD which would typically be 7.5 or 8 hours, but could be up to 12 hours. But my current client is overall very decent and as I've been moved to a Covid related project needing longer than usual hours, they offered to pay for additional hours over 8 per day, so I'm charging 1.25 days for a 10 hour day. Within that context, I'm happy to charge standard rates for weekends and bank holidays, and they never expect to me to work these days if it doesn't suit.

Comment

Dunno why everybody is letting themselves get done over!

1.5x for Saturdays, 2x Sundays & Bank Holidays for me

Comment

Working...
                    X