• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency games increasing after covid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency games increasing after covid?

I can only imagine agencies will be fighting like rabid dogs for any leads and roles that come up as things improve. Roc Search no doubt will want 20 references prior to even just talking to you.

I've had 2 emails over the last few weeks from agents with a job spec, the jobs sounded somewhat plausible where it could be real rather than a generic general sounding advert which normal indicates to me its possible just CV harvesting but no rate was mentioned and at the end it said if you are interested send your CV and desired rate.

Could we now see more of this as they know a lot of people are out of work needing jobs and they as agents have taken a huge hit no doubt so are making people more pitch for jobs and then just forward the ones who state the lowest.

I think you're probably adding a conspiracy where this isn't one. Clients don't always want the cheapest - they didn't 6 months ago and they don't today.

But agents are just as exposed as we are during a downturn so yeah, we'll see more bulltulip as bored agents work to find leads, harvest CV's etc but I can't see why they'd suddenly start caring so much about low rates.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      I think you're probably adding a conspiracy where this isn't one. Clients don't always want the cheapest - they didn't 6 months ago and they don't today.

But agents are just as exposed as we are during a downturn so yeah, we'll see more bulltulip as bored agents work to find leads, harvest CV's etc but I can't see why they'd suddenly start caring so much about low rates.
      I'd agree. It's happened in the past, it will always happen in the future. It's out of our hands as to the scale, just the nature of the way we work.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Had a Forsyth Barnes chappie enticing me with something lovely.

Managed to get him on the phone, popped me the spec, drivelled on about the market, asked me what I wanted to do (FFS), got a token name out of me and thence set about preparing me to never hear from him again, 'because he just had so many applicants to speak to'.

Such was his back pedalling out of the conversation, I wonder if he actually tripped up on his way out.

'Tis a game to be sure...

Comment

People talk about the horrors of permie reviews once a year, but having to never deal with slime agents again is priceless.

That and knowing I get paid every month, whether I work or not (sick, holiday, training) until retirement.

Can't put a price on that peace of mind

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            People talk about the horrors of permie reviews once a year, but having to never deal with slime agents again is priceless.

That and knowing I get paid every month, whether I work or not (sick, holiday, training) until retirement.

Can't put a price on that peace of mind
            yes you can.
            it's called 'having to live in Swindon'

hth

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              yes you can.
              it's called 'having to live in Swindon'

hth
              He doesn't have to live in Swindon.

He could die there.

Comment

Thankfully I've not had to deal with any pimps for over two years as I have been B2B, feels odd talking to them again.

I was speaking to one yesterday for rec agency I've worked with twice before but not since 2013 and he started asking about previous gig and names, managers etc. I just said don't start pestering them as it will get back to me and that won't be a good start. I like to say, help me get the gig I apply for and I may give you an introduction. Usually works, gets them salivating, £££ in eyes.

They also did the usual "how are you finding the market", "have you got anything else lined up?" Ah, noobies.

Yep, it's a game, however you can play nice and friendly if they do the same.

qh
                Last edited by quackhandle; 8 July 2020, 15:45.
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Had an agent on the phone and he came straight out with I need two references. I point blank refused and said he would just harass the life out of them.

Agent denied all of this - came out with an excuse that they deliver the projects so control all the hiring etc. Another chap gave them the details as we were applying as a pair.

5 mins later they are calling one of the references fishing for leads. Next day I get an email from the agent sorry the client has decided to promote internally, the position has been filled.

Total scumbags.

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
                    Had an agent on the phone and he came straight out with I need two references. I point blank refused and said he would just harass the life out of them.

Agent denied all of this - came out with an excuse that they deliver the projects so control all the hiring etc. Another chap gave them the details as we were applying as a pair.

5 mins later they are calling one of the references fishing for leads. Next day I get an email from the agent sorry the client has decided to promote internally, the position has been filled.

Total scumbags.
                    "You can have the references at client interview stage, if we get that far."

If they don't go along with that, chances are there is no gig.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X