• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency games increasing after covid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
    Had an agent on the phone and he came straight out with I need two references. I point blank refused and said he would just harass the life out of them.

Agent denied all of this - came out with an excuse that they deliver the projects so control all the hiring etc. Another chap gave them the details as we were applying as a pair.

5 mins later they are calling one of the references fishing for leads. Next day I get an email from the agent sorry the client has decided to promote internally, the position has been filled.

Total scumbags.
    A total scumbag would have emailed you back saying that you don't have the skills.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Clients don't always want the cheapest - they didn't 6 months ago and they don't today.
      I don't know if this is true or not.. the gig I have taken the role was advertised at one rate then when shortlisting CVs they picked candidates for interview on the basis that they will only interview with 20% rate reduction off the original rate mentioned.... no idea if that was agency game or client.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        People talk about the horrors of permie reviews once a year, but having to never deal with slime agents again is priceless.

That and knowing I get paid every month, whether I work or not (sick, holiday, training) until retirement.

Can't put a price on that peace of mind
        True enough. I've been in the same place for years, so haven't talked to an agent - other than the ones at my agency, and that's usually to tell them what I'd like to drink. If this comes to an end, permiedom does have its attractions. I'll think of it as my retirement pin money.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          True enough. I've been in the same place for years, so haven't talked to an agent - other than the ones at my agency, and that's usually to tell them what I'd like to drink. If this comes to an end, permiedom does have its attractions. I'll think of it as my retirement pin money.
          I'm planning a long stint with depression on full pay. I reckon 2 years before they can get rid of me with that one. Two years on full pay sitting at home pretending to be fed up

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            People talk about the horrors of permie reviews once a year, but having to never deal with slime agents again is priceless.

That and knowing I get paid every month, whether I work or not (sick, holiday, training) until retirement.

Can't put a price on that peace of mind
            yep.

the whole process is painful :

- idiot agents who can't read or write
            - agents who won't take your CV as you have T-SQL and the client wants PL SQL
            - those mining for CVs
            - those mining for leads
            - the ones that talk your ear off for 30 mins, then don't return calls

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              ....Clients don't always want the cheapest....

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                ... you can play nice and friendly if they do the same....

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

They also did the usual "how are you finding the market", "have you got anything else lined up?" Ah, noobies.

Yep, it's a game, however you can play nice and friendly if they do the same.

qh
                  What's the right answer to these? Usually I go with "I've had a few calls, one or two applications in the very early stages of the process but nothing concrete right now" as the suggestion that I'm on my way to receiving an offer or have one on the table would usually indicate to the recruiter that I'm not worth gambling on.

Comment

Originally posted by Shezz View Post
                    What's the right answer to these? Usually I go with "I've had a few calls, one or two applications in the very early stages of the process but nothing concrete right now" as the suggestion that I'm on my way to receiving an offer or have one on the table would usually indicate to the recruiter that I'm not worth gambling on.
                    Regardless of how long I've been looking, I tend to say "I've only just started looking, too soon to have an opinion, how are you finding it?”

Comment

Originally posted by Shezz View Post
                      "It's quiet."

Don't give them any more than that. Divulging more detail invites too many questions.

I got a call back off the pimp I spoke to last week, "It's been filled internally." Yeah, CV harvesting.

I haven't missed dealing with these shysters.

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X