• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

umbrella or LTD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    Thats nonsense. Unless you have large commuting costs your gross income is still normally 40% higher as a contractor. If its inside IR35 how is permanent better? permanent is like inside IR35 in terms of taxes. What rights do you have as an employee anyway? U can always be sacked before a period of two years.
    Generally, employees can only claim unfair dismissal against an employer if they have a minimum of two years' service. In 2012, the qualifying period increased from one to two years.

Interesting it was the LibCon coalition that made it two years instead of one, eroding employee rights further, and making it easier to hire and fire people with little recourse.

Remember that fact and IR35 to the public and private sector come election time.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Generally, employees can only claim unfair dismissal against an employer if they have a minimum of two years' service. In 2012, the qualifying period increased from one to two years.

Interesting it was the LibCon coalition that made it two years instead of one, eroding employee rights further, and making it easier to hire and fire people with little recourse.

Remember that fact and IR35 to the public and private sector come election time.
      The length of time before being able to claim unfair dismissal has been a political football for years -

The right to claim unfair dismissal was introduced by the Industrial Relations Act 1971. At that time the qualifying period was two years.(Tories)

It has changed many times since, ranging between six months and two years.

The Trade Union and Labour Relations Act 1974 reduced the period to six months, following a (six month) transition period in which it was one year (Labour)

The Unfair Dismissal (Variation of Qualifying Period) Order 1979(SI 1979/959) increased it to one year (Tories)

The Employment Act 1980 increased it to two years for employees in firms with fewer than 21 employees (Tories)

The Unfair Dismissal (Variation of Qualifying Period) Order 1985(SI 1985/82) increased it to two years in all cases (Tories)

The Unfair Dismissal and Statement of Reasons for Dismissal(Variation of Qualifying Period) Order 1999 (SI 1999/1436)lowered it to six months (Labour - can you see a pattern here?)

The Unfair Dismissal and Statement of Reasons for Dismissal(Variation of Qualifying Period) Order 2012 (SI 2012/989)increased it to two years (Tories and Lib Dem)

Comment

I can see a pattern. You might as well vote Labour now if you are going to end up in a tulipty low pay permie job.

Comment

I can see a pattern. You might as well vote Labour now if you are going to end up living on the dole working in the grey market economy.
          FTFY

Perhaps Ayn Rand was right after all!
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I can see a pattern. You might as well vote Labour now if you are going to end up in a tulipty low pay permie job.
            Can't you just be happy for us, rather than always trying to drag you down to your own level?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              At a very senior level, Interim roles (e.g Interim CIO) can make sense financially compared to permie equivalent, and are likely to be inside IR35. Not my bag, though.
              Interim CIOs (and any other senior interim manager) tend to be brought in to fix a specific problem or problems or sometimes the incumbent left at short notice. I think it's less likely that companies would be so worried about the potential difference in cost between an interim and permie CIO. At that level, it's more important to get the hire right as the cost of getting it wrong can theoretically be hundreds of thousands or millions of pounds.

As a comparison, a FTSE 250 or equivalent CIO day rate would be typically in the £1000-1400 day rate range. Base salary would be at least £150k, package could be up to that again. Cost to hire a perm CIO could be 30% of total first year salary plus package.

It could take up to a year to find the right perm CIO but you wouldn't really want to have an interim for more than say 18 months. Interims don't tend to be focused so much on ongoing leadership to develop the organisation and that's what you need long term.

I know quite a lot of CIOs who are currently on the bench...

Comment

Switched to Umbrella after 11 years

I recently switched back to Umbrella after nearly 11 years as LTD and it feels like the best thing I ever did.

No more CT, VAT, NI, SA problems etc.,

I seem to have not lost revenue really as I did manage to push up my daily rate. Not sure how things will be once more normality returns however, re: expenses and travel but for now it's the best thing I have done in many a long time and at a certain point in your life money becomes the least of your worries.

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
                  I recently switched back to Umbrella after nearly 11 years as LTD and it feels like the best thing I ever did.

No more CT, VAT, NI, SA problems etc.,

I seem to have not lost revenue really as I did manage to push up my daily rate. Not sure how things will be once more normality returns however, re: expenses and travel but for now it's the best thing I have done in many a long time and at a certain point in your life money becomes the least of your worries.
                  Funny but I was a lot more relaxed when I was with an umbrella on an increased rate as well. Felt like I was loaded with all the money coming in monthly rather than just disappearing in to the Ltd bank.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Funny but I was a lot more relaxed when I was with an umbrella on an increased rate as well. Felt like I was loaded with all the money coming in monthly rather than just disappearing in to the Ltd bank.
                    Relaxed is definitely the word, I spent so much time worrying about SA it was really not worth earning any extra. It will restrict me to locations I can work in eventually again though I was probably travelling too much anyway.

For me just all round better option. I'm actually glad of IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
                      Relaxed is definitely the word, I spent so much time worrying about SA it was really not worth earning any extra. It will restrict me to locations I can work in eventually again though I was probably travelling too much anyway.

For me just all round better option. I'm actually glad of IR35.
                      Oooooookay.... lets not go that far. That last comment is pretty ridiculous. You had the option to go umbrella any time you wanted. You didn;t need to go inside to use a brolly.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X