• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can we fight back against Infosys, TCS and other Indian consultancies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post

In terms of bringing people into the UK, as I pointed out this very thing to my local MP, rather tongue in cheek the response was that they have to have the offer of a job in the UK before being able to get a work permit, and that assumes they've scored enough points to be able to do so.

?
    Perhaps your MP needs to read the new rules

No points based system from 1st Jan

No need to offer Job in Uk 1st

£25K is all you need

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

£25K is all you need

with a recession looming, unemployment rising , several businesses failing
      and what do these idiots do ? open up the labour market to the whole world. Impeccable timing.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

£25K is all you need

Are you sure about that? See New immigration system: what you need to know - GOV.UK

Or, do you have any knowledge to the contrary?

What I find astounding is the sheer number of items on the occupation shortage list per Immigration Rules Appendix K: shortage occupation list - Immigration Rules - Guidance - GOV.UK.

I mean seriously, we are coming into the highest level of unemployment since the 80s, and yet we still miraculously have skills shortages. Really!?

Comment

Are you sure about that? See New immigration system: what you need to know - GOV.UK

Or, do you have any knowledge to the contrary?

What I find astounding is the sheer number of items on the occupation shortage list per Immigration Rules Appendix K: shortage occupation list - Immigration Rules - Guidance - GOV.UK.

I mean seriously, we are coming into the highest level of unemployment since the 80s, and yet we still miraculously have skills shortages. Really!?
          Yes because companies don't train people - they just poach people trained by others.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

25k min. salary for IT but
            for skilled chef :
            • the pay is at least £29,570 per year after deductions for accommodation, meals etc;

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Yes because companies don't train people - they just poach people trained by others.
              This in itself is a travesty. When I started my software development career, training/courses were still reasonably prevalent, or at least training courses from the likes of Learning Tree or looking at industry certs from the like if Microsoft, Oracle, Cisco and so on. I suspect less and less companies are funding their staff to take those now.

Why I always smell a rat with the skills shortage claims are to contrast that with the fact that Computer Science graduates have typically experienced one of the highest levels of graduate unemployment over the last couple of decades.

I think allowing companies to trawl the globe for talent is a scourge on society, when there are plenty of people in the UK who could probably do the work.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                25k min. salary for IT but
                for skilled chef :
                • the pay is at least £29,570 per year after deductions for accommodation, meals etc;

It shows how well valued IT skills are in the UK.

Comment

Although deep for a Monday, the system really does need rebalancing to give the little guy a fighting chance - it's no coincidence that the 1% have become even more obscenely wealthy during the pandemic, while everyone else suffers and will do so for a long time to come.
                  I agree with this but I'm not sure I have the answers.
                  Brexit protectionism is a sham as all it will do is protect the lowest grade numbskulls.

The wealthy will always remain wealthy. Always have and always will. As long as we are a capitalist society with a monarchy it will always be so.
                  We are a lot more equal than 50 years ago, but less equal than 20 years ago.

oh. and it's not the 1%. It's the 0.01%.
                  Most posters one here are close to, or in, the 1%
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    I agree with this but I'm not sure I have the answers.
                    Brexit protectionism is a sham as all it will do is protect the lowest grade numbskulls.

The wealthy will always remain wealthy. Always have and always will. As long as we are a capitalist society with a monarchy it will always be so.
                    We are a lot more equal than 50 years ago, but less equal than 20 years ago.

oh. and it's not the 1%. It's the 0.01%.
                    Most posters one here are close to, or in, the 1%
                    Agree with most of what you say.

Per this from the IFS, invoicing from the last few years would put my company around the top 1% mark but only just. I would imagine most contractors on here are comfortably in the top 5%, if not, certainly 10%.

Comment

Agree with most of what you say.

Per this from the IFS, invoicing from the last few years would put my company around the top 1% mark but only just. I would imagine most contractors on here are comfortably in the top 5%, if not, certainly 10%.
                      that article contoans this nugget

Partnership and dividend income account for over a quarter of the total income of the top 1%, and over a third of the total income of the top 0.1%, a much higher share than for those with lower incomes. Partnership and dividend income are taxed at lower rates than normal salaries – a policy choice to tax the incomes of business owners at lower rates than employees, which therefore benefits a significant share of the top 1%.
                      Do you agree with IR35 reforms then as that will improve equality?

#tongueincheek
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X