• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can we fight back against Infosys, TCS and other Indian consultancies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Tartan Cottage View Post
    No, not when we are in business. But I’d argue that for permanent workers there should be some protection - i.e. the job should only be offered to an overseas candidate if a suitable resident candidate cannot be found.
    Fair point

Comment

Competition is hotting up

As US tightens H-1B norms, the UK opens up to India — Quartz India

In April this year, Britain introduced two new visas for international talent to set up shop there

Both routes will make the visa application process simpler and clearer for skilled Indian talent,” a spokesperson at the British high commission in Delhi told Quartz
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBrown11 View Post
        How can we fight back against Infosys, TCS and other Indian consultancies?

How can we fight back?
        Stop engaging with the system, break down what you actually need from life, food, shelter, warmth. I'm moving into farming and self sufficiency as my plan b, it's hard work but at least the rewards of my labours will be clearly visible and I will minimise the amount of tax I hand over to people who do not have my best interests at heart.

Eventually when everyone is on the dole, and we are a near bankrupt third world sweat shop people might wake up to the direction of globalisation and start voting accordingly, until then look after your own.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
          and I will minimise the amount of tax I hand over to people who do not have my best interests at heart.
          It's only a matter of time when the tax man recognises that as tax avoidance and will force you to work.

Jokes aside, for many this type of work is what makes sense in their life. If you take it away you are going to introduce whole host of issues and government seems to be blissfully unaware of that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            You do know that are minimum salary requirements for UK working visas.

Intra-company Transfer visa (Tier 2): Eligibility - GOV.UK

The minimum salary is:

£41,500 for Long-term Staff
            £23,000 for Graduate Trainee

These salaries are comparable with the national average in the IT industry.

Contractors need to upgrade their skills rather than whining.

When I was starting out as a Graduate I lived in a shared house. There would be six or seven of us in one house.
            not any more
            with the new points based system coming up ,they only need to pay £20k

Comment

IT is a global market and trying to create a small protective bubble in the UK where contractors are protected is not going to work. If there are perm jobs then you go down a step learn a new skill and go out and contract again when the market is better.
              what if the same thing happens with your newly acquired skill.

Comment

In what way does he favour Infosys ?

It's the Home Office that determine who gets the visas.
                I’ve worked for the Home Office via an Indian consultancy. It didn’t last long. I’m also noticing a pattern whereby most govt contracts are punted out by TCS and co.

As a side note, ex colleague of mine was giving evidence for a whistleblower who worked with him on a contract for the Scottish govt. Basic upshot was that he had evidence that a certain Indian outsourcer had a man on the inside. Must check up with home and see how that panned out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tartan Cottage View Post
                  I’ve worked for the Home Office via an Indian consultancy. It didn’t last long. I’m also noticing a pattern whereby most govt contracts are punted out by TCS and co.

As a side note, ex colleague of mine was giving evidence for a whistleblower who worked with him on a contract for the Scottish govt. Basic upshot was that he had evidence that a certain Indian outsourcer had a man on the inside. Must check up with home and see how that panned out.
                  Inneresting.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2705186

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    Well yes, exactly. In my experience, most of these bodyshoppers have been Bob-a-job Dot net developers but the quality of the work was dreadful - no concept of SOLID principles whatsoever. That said, at least it worked. Set them loose on some JavaScript framework and I think it would be a different story, which is why I work exclusively on front end tech these days and I’ve been very busy, other than the last 3 months for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                      Self-development is a continuous process.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X