• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can we fight back against Infosys, TCS and other Indian consultancies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    Even if the regular hardcore Tories on this forum would still vote for them again in a future election, as if it's their football team they're irrationally backing. The Tories support large corporations and that's what you're seeing with this funneling of projects to extremely poor quality companies.
    Is there a party that doesn't support large corporations? It's inevitable that these can corrupt any politicians. How could contractors compete with that lobbying?
    Unless you create a union (probably using a different word though) of some sort and pool money to buy them dinners, get them to luxury conferences in tropics, sponsor their children education, create and sponsor members only clubs visited by celebs and so on. But still you wouldn't be able to offer a chair in some unknown department of a big corp at few hundred k for doing nothing once they won't get reelected.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
      Is there a party that doesn't support large corporations? It's inevitable that these can corrupt any politicians. How could contractors compete with that lobbying?
      Unless you create a union (probably using a different word though) of some sort and pool money to buy them dinners, get them to luxury conferences in tropics, sponsor their children education, create and sponsor members only clubs visited by celebs and so on. But still you wouldn't be able to offer a chair in some unknown department of a big corp at few hundred k for doing nothing once they won't get reelected.
      It's all about balance. Giving benefits to business is a great idea, but not at the expense of other parts of society. The problem is that in the UK there are only two political parties who win an election, as the system only permits two major players. The other party is even called "Her Majesty's opposition", perpetuating this.

Why, in the largest freemarket democracy in the world, does the USA only have two political parties to choose from? The system is configured to only permit two major parties. The UK is the same. Here, the answer is proportional representation, as is used in Scotland for elections and most respected European countries. This also forces politicians to work together and stops major changes occurring that could be detrimental to the country.

It's very difficult to achieve an overall majority in a proportional representation system, so it's harder to have Boris&Co force through unusual acts or legislation. The current trend is them filling traditionally neutral roles with partisan Tories without formal qualifications to fulfill those roles - a dangerous precedent.

There is a serious cultural gap emerging that is a detriment to the UK. More (cheap) goods may seem like a good idea, but societal cohesion and culture lessens the more the system perpetuates this idea of consumerism and wealth disparity. You can only pacify people with cheap goods for a certain amount of time before they get bored of it.

I genuinely see the break up of the UK as the only solution to this, because I know that here in Scotland people don't favour this pure corporate favouritism. The danger with the UK is that people don't see the reality until it's too late. From 2021 onwards I can see mass unemployment and a lot of people on this forum being forced into £40k IT jobs. My first IT job paid £39k and that was a very long time ago. Soon there will be a generic working class and a upper rentier class - I don't want that to happen.

Some here may be unaware of this but large fund groups are buying up huge volumes of housing stock. It's much more profitable to get people to perpetually rent than it is to have them own a cheap home and have a good local life without being enslaved to rubbish new build housing with high rents.

Comment

I have seen a consultancy, that I've been part of at some point, only bring people on visas not only because they could not find at their price point but turnover was so high that it was upsetting the clients.
        I was asked to work on multiple projects and continuous attempts to lock me in with some nonsense accreditation.
        Bi-weekly brain washing meetings + any attempts to get paid training were ignored.
        Paid about 70% off what the client permies were getting and the amount of work and expectations were probably x2 as much.

Client was paying 2-3x normal permi salary so expectations were high in that area as well.

Rumour was that the consultancy company had connections with higher management and for allowing them to place people, the managers would get promises of comfy roles at retirement.

There were some good people around, probably the reason the consultancy was still surviving, most of them on visas and genuine good motivated people. Hence getting royally shafted.

This is how capitalism works and how the upper class is enforcing it's power into the working class. They are not doing anything unlawful.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          This is how capitalism works and how the upper class is enforcing it's power into the working class. They are not doing anything unlawful.
          Apples to oranges. The difference between communism and "capitalism" is who gets to profit. In communism profit goes to the party and in "capitalism" profit goes to friends of the party. "Capitalism" is sort of outsourced version, where those in charge have people to create rules for their benefit. In this model responsibility is blurred and if politicians do a bad job then the "capital" will back different ones. This way the pleb won't blame those directly responsible and business can carry on. In "communism" when something goes wrong it is harder to find a scapegoat and usually you will have to put those most angry to camps. In "capitalism" you can just change politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

The upper class enforces its power by relying on the uneducated masses failing to become educated.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

2 weeks ago applied for this contract role, perfect match even including desirables. Agreed to half the market rate and 5 days on-site. Stage 1 went extremely well. Had high hopes for this one. Then a week of silence and today I got this:

"Apologies for the late answer. Unfortunately, we have received information from XXXXXX that they have decided to offshore this role to their hub in India due to budget reasons. Thanks for your time and interest in this role."

Suddenly I don't feel sorry for 1.1 million Covid cases in India. If the number rises to 100 mil I still won't have a problem with that.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBrown11 View Post
                2 weeks ago applied for this contract role, perfect match even including desirables. Agreed to half the market rate and 5 days on-site. Stage 1 went extremely well. Had high hopes for this one. Then a week of silence and today I got this:

"Apologies for the late answer. Unfortunately, we have received information from XXXXXX that they have decided to offshore this role to their hub in India due to budget reasons. Thanks for your time and interest in this role."

Suddenly I don't feel sorry for 1.1 million Covid cases in India. If the number rises to 100 mil I still won't have a problem with that.
                You need to half or rate again, and then again and then once more. You will be the winner then.

Comment

I'm sorry to say that you probably agreed to double the market rate, not half the market rate. You just didn't know what the market was (off-shore).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I'm sorry to say that you probably agreed to double the market rate, not half the market rate. You just didn't know what the market was (off-shore).
                    Well I wasn't the one advertising the role. They were offering up to 500. I quoted 250. What is the lowest you would be willing to work for?

Comment

Well I wasn't the one advertising the role. They were offering up to 500. I quoted 250. What is the lowest you would be willing to work for?
                      Everyone is different, but I draw the line at < £300/day.

Comment

Working...
                      X