• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can we fight back against Infosys, TCS and other Indian consultancies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post
    Why would any company take an "ex-contractor" on vs someone who's done perm all their life (unless they are absolutely desperate for some niche skills)? The risk is just way lower to take the latter as most (all?) contractors would bail the moment the market picks up or they eventually find a contract.

Why do you think the same story of "I've sent 150 applications and got no responses this week" keeps coming up on here?
    Why agents keep pushing perm roles then? Most calls I get is for perm and agents try to make me change my mind talking about various perks or stability I would get.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
      Why agents keep pushing perm roles then? Most calls I get is for perm and agents try to make me change my mind talking about various perks or stability I would get.
      Because agents are looking for ANYBODY who’s CV might fit the bill.
      And permies aren’t moving anywhere right now unless they’re really dumb.
      So the only people on the job market are failed/failing/benched contractors.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Umbrellas provide a function (payroll) that agencies don't want to perform and have a habit of screwing up...
        Isn't it what accountants are for? It seems like a little bit of a stretch...

A) "We just can't run payroll as our accounting keeps screwing up, it's sooo difficult. They literally cannot do maths. Let's have an external company to deal with the payroll. What do you mean they will take our employees?"

B) "We cannot have a risk of our employees forming an union and worry about sick pay, maternity leave and other crap and we still cannot get rid of Steve. How can we avoid that? Let's have an external company to deal with employees! No longer our problem! What do you mean we won't need to run payroll as well? You're genius!"
        Payroll is a complicated business process. Most companies outsource it because there are so many constantly changing rules and regulations. I don't think you'll find many accountancy firms can or would want to manage a large payroll operation.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          Payroll is a complicated business process. Most companies outsource it because there are so many constantly changing rules and regulations. I don't think you'll find many accountancy firms can or would want to manage a large payroll operation.
          That doesn't explain why this has to involve avoiding responsibility for workers' rights.

Comment

I am not a libertarian, but a free market without too much regulation should fix this problem by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by candy View Post
              I am not a libertarian, but a free market without too much regulation should fix this problem by itself.
              Free market rewards people who deserve being rewarded for taking the risk and their hard work, and unfortunately lately regulation is not used to make the market safe from bad actors, but rather to divert profits to people who don't deserve it, for example party donors or those in the circle.

Comment

Free market rewards people who deserve being rewarded for taking the risk and their hard work...

Working for the same company and doing the same job for 2 years. That’s not taking a risk. That’s being an employee.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Working for the same company and doing the same job for 2 years. That’s not taking a risk. That’s being an employee.
                  Would you explain how you worked out the 2 years threshold?

If you have been going to the same hairdresser for 2 years, should you have him or her on your payroll?

Comment

Would you explain how you worked out the 2 years threshold?

If you have been going to the same hairdresser for 2 years, should you have him or her on your payroll?
                    At least give him an example that's not ridiculous and makes you look a bit daft.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The tax is only half the issue with being inside for many. Being unable to claim T&S is equally massive as hotel bills and train fares/mileage suddenly have to come out of take home pay instead of ltd top line.

That has a triple whammy of impacting how much you have to take out of the company and will definitely push you into top bracket tax take, whether that be down the dividend tax or PAYE tax route.

FTCs could be a reasonable middle ground on that, where if you get a four-week notice period, it actually has to be paid up if they let you go.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X