• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can we fight back against Infosys, TCS and other Indian consultancies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Do you agree with IR35 reforms then as that will improve equality?

#tongueincheek
    Nope. It's been done ad infinitum about employment rights if forced inside so will avoid that topic for now.

I believe it won't improve equality - it will just hand advantages to certain vested interests whether it is like eek rubbing his hands with glee at being able to bring people into the UK at £25k and undoubtedly anyone else trying to run a consultancy. Eek's person on £25k, while most likely on PAYE with the employer/employee NICs that the government so desperately wants, will be able to be fully expensed to stay in hotels, something which IR35 caught contractors will no longer be able to do.

Ultimately, as has been shown with the whole excluded UK thing, part of the risks we take as contractors is to ensure we build up enough of a war chest for lean times, whether caused by generally poor market conditions or more extreme events such as we're seeing now with the pandemic.

For the risks and liquidity we add to the market for delivering projects in the UK, there should be a premium, particularly as we have very little in the way of a safety net. When we have an Oxford Professor pontificating as to whether the self-employed and employed should pay different taxes (to which she stated no), it's typical of someone sitting in their ivory tower never taking a risk.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
      Nope. It's been done ad infinitum about employment rights if forced inside so will avoid that topic for now.

I believe it won't improve equality - it will just hand advantages to certain vested interests whether it is like eek rubbing his hands with glee at being able to bring people into the UK at £25k and undoubtedly anyone else trying to run a consultancy. Eek's person on £25k, while most likely on PAYE with the employer/employee NICs that the government so desperately wants, will be able to be fully expensed to stay in hotels, something which IR35 caught contractors will no longer be able to do.

Ultimately, as has been shown with the whole excluded UK thing, part of the risks we take as contractors is to ensure we build up enough of a war chest for lean times, whether caused by generally poor market conditions or more extreme events such as we're seeing now with the pandemic.

For the risks and liquidity we add to the market for delivering projects in the UK, there should be a premium, particularly as we have very little in the way of a safety net. When we have an Oxford Professor pontificating as to whether the self-employed and employed should pay different taxes (to which she stated no), it's typical of someone sitting in their ivory tower never taking a risk.
      Um - my post was to emphasis a point rather than show what I was actually doing - I would personally pay them double the local wage and allow them a decent life where they currently live.

My time is currently spent dealing with umbrella companies and umbrellas to ensure there is a trustworthy supply chain available for those people who will need to use umbrella companies come April...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Um - my post was to emphasis a point rather than show what I was actually doing - I would personally pay them double the local wage and allow them a decent life where they currently live.

My time is currently spent dealing with umbrella companies and umbrellas to ensure there is a trustworthy supply chain available for those people who will need to use umbrella companies come April...
        Fair comment and in that case I misunderstood.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Perhaps your MP needs to read the new rules

No points based system from 1st Jan

No need to offer Job in Uk 1st

£25K is all you need

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
          Also this minimum pa salary drops to £20,600 for health and education sector workers (oh but of course right?).

Essentially, there are three ways into working in the UK going forward (2021):

- Intra Company Transfer - ICT - from today, I think, companies no longer need to meet the minimum Requirements Labour Market Test (RLMT) for the occupation table skill income*. It is possible to transfer a ICT staff worker to a Skilled Worker (immigration).

- Skilled Worker** - which was what you are talking about and that is the 70 points system (50 points are mandatory items) - there is wording for 5-year entry for every 6-year tenure and I think there is also 9-year entry for every 10-year tenure (go and look it up if you are really interested)

- Frontier Worker Scheme - these workers from the EU, EEA and Ireland (Irish people do not have to apply for FWS) and the FWS is coming in 1st July 2021 or whenever the GOV.UK releases it.

*See the other thread about Indian recruitment agencies - the change in ICT requirements essentially blows their alleged strategy out of the water. There is no more need for RLMT, but I bet we will still see the spammy emails.

**Skilled Worker - is the one to concentrate on, where if anyone is fighting back against any sort of consultancies, they need to update their skills set. Focus on the early adopter and innovative technologies and group working soft skills. Stay bloody relevant. Dump the old-tech is my advice here.

Official references

Frontier Worker
          Frontier workers in the UK: rights and status - GOV.UK

(Tier 2) Skilled Worker
          Skilled Worker visa - GOV.UK
          Last edited by rocktronAMP; 1 December 2020, 14:39. Reason: Grammar and fact checked sources

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

**Skilled Worker - is the one to concentrate on, where if anyone is fighting back against any sort of consultancies, they need to update their skills set. Focus on the early adopter and innovative technologies and group working soft skills. Stay bloody relevant. Dump the old-tech is my advice here.
            This is it. Develop personal connections and a track record of integrating yourself into projects and delivering with the minimum of fuss.

Clients don't always want the cheapest or flashiest option. They want projects to be in safe hands and delivered with the minimum of fuss.

Comment

As for importing workers a two step process would more or less sort the situation out:

Roles must initially be advertised locally (to stop someone using a company as a bridgehead to get their family and friends over)

If they can't find anyone and need to look abroad - entirely possible in some sectors - then anyone coming over has to be paid the average salary/rate or more and has to pay the same tax as the locals.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                Stay bloody relevant. Dump the old-tech is my advice here.
                or go really old.
                There's still demand for mainframe legacy skills for example.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  or go really old.
                  There's still demand for mainframe legacy skills for example.
                  I wonder if this is still in use as it was a decade ago.

IBM 402 - Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I wonder if this is still in use as it was a decade ago.

IBM 402 - Wikipedia
                    in a museum?
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      As for importing workers a two step process would more or less sort the situation out:

Roles must initially be advertised locally (to stop someone using a company as a bridgehead to get their family and friends over)

If they can't find anyone and need to look abroad - entirely possible in some sectors - then anyone coming over has to be paid the average salary/rate or more and has to pay the same tax as the locals.
                      I thought this was done already (under the soon to be old regime, at least)?

Comment

Working...
                      X