• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Concurrent Employment and Contract Role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    When I took my permie role, my employment contract specifically stated I was not allowed to be a controlling director in any other company and they even wanted to see proof my IT contracting company had been dissolved within 6 months of starting.

Your mileage might vary, but seems like they had been stung in the past with people moonlighting / side hussle
    who are you working for. Nazis ?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
      who are you working for. Nazis ?
      Actually I've seen this quite often with consultancy companies in particular, probably wanting to ensure that you don't compete in any way and/or you don't have anything to distract you from all the unpaid overtime you'll be expected to put in for "business development" and "supporting the team"...

Comment

Nope, no external business, or limited or any kind of company directorship. Basically they own ever fibre of my being, every thought and every action.
        Very odd. When I went perm, there was a clause in my employment contract about not taking other work on, which is understandable. I just told them I would set my company dormant and not trade while under their employ.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Very odd. When I went perm, there was a clause in my employment contract about not taking other work on, which is understandable. I just told them I would set my company dormant and not trade while under their employ.
          I was forced to shutdown the limited and sign a bit of paper giving over all IP on anything techie whilst in employment.

Comment

I was forced to shutdown the limited and sign a bit of paper giving over all IP on anything techie whilst in employment.
            Standard employment practice - anything I create when at work is theirs. Same for contracting, though, from my experience.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by CatOnMat View Post
              Actually I've seen this quite often with consultancy companies in particular, probably wanting to ensure that you don't compete in any way and/or you don't have anything to distract you from all the unpaid overtime you'll be expected to put in for "business development" and "supporting the team"...
              Consultancies with accountancy arms often have a huge amount of ethics and similar compliance rules, so this may be part of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Consultancies with accountancy arms often have a huge amount of ethics and similar compliance rules, so this may be part of that.
                Having rules and abiding by them is one thing

Once worked in a gig where consultancy requested desks next to the kitchen area, which they were stupidly given. Said consultancy were how shall I put it, very adept at overhearing conversations and using information to their advantage.

Comment

Working...
                X