• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Concurrent Employment and Contract Role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concurrent Employment and Contract Role

I have been a limited company contractor for a number of years. However, after the end of my last assignment, I have recently been offered a permie role with a different client.

If I accept the permie role which is a Mon-Fri day job, can I take up any part-time contract role in future which could run concurrently, albeit, could be done over the weekend (to avoid any clash with the normal permie working hours requirement)? For info, the permie client does not impose any restrictions outside of normal working hours as per their contract.

if your contract allows it and your availability meets your client expectations, then there's nothing to stop you doing this.

Comment

We all know you will work on new contracts in full-time client time

Some advice

Don’t tell permie client about this arrangement it will raise eyebrows as

Fill your boots

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

When I took my permie role, my employment contract specifically stated I was not allowed to be a controlling director in any other company and they even wanted to see proof my IT contracting company had been dissolved within 6 months of starting.

Your mileage might vary, but seems like they had been stung in the past with people moonlighting / side hussle

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          When I took my permie role, my employment contract specifically stated I was not allowed to be a controlling director in any other company and they even wanted to see proof my IT contracting company had been dissolved within 6 months of starting.

Your mileage might vary, but seems like they had been stung in the past with people moonlighting / side hussle
          I hate clauses like that. Another reason not to go permie. They want you to need them to keep full control over you and want to keep you desperate to work, it's such an exploitive relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

This does seem suppressive. How generic were the terms, e.g. could you still keep your Ltd. for selling used underwear going, or was it a blanket ban on directorships?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
              This does seem suppressive. How generic were the terms, e.g. could you still keep your Ltd. for selling used underwear going, or was it a blanket ban on directorships?
              Nope, no external business, or limited or any kind of company directorship. Basically they own ever fibre of my being, every thought and every action.

Comment

Originally posted by coolguycp1 View Post
                For info, the permie client does not impose any restrictions outside of normal working hours as per their contract.
                Sounds unlikely.

But, if true, then I think you answered your own question. Otherwise, what is your question, precisely?

Comment

I've had quite a few permie jobs where they specifically forbade any kind of paid work that wasn't for them - the more enlightened versions demanded to be informed of any such arrangement and reserve the right to withhold permission.

As above, I'd probably just keep quiet about it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                    That was precisely what they were looking to put a stop to. That kind of thing is reputational dynamite for a contract cleaning company, even in Swindon.

Comment

Working...
                    X