• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Experis Employed Consultant Roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experis Employed Consultant Roles

Hi,

I've recently been apprached about a role through Experis. I've been advised by the Programme manager that he wants me in the role and no one else, therefore the role is there for me if I want it. Unfortunately, the only way he can get me into the role is to go through Experis (internal policies apparently). It's a 6 month contract with the view to extend. However, Experis have informed me that for me to take the role I need to become a permanent "Experis Employed Consultant". This brings with it an obvious pay cut (from contract) as the salary being offered is nothing like the day rate I know the client are paying Experis for the role.

Has anyone come across this type of employment option before?

I've confirmed with them that at the end of the 6 month engagement if there are no other opportunities then I would be let go. So I feel this is a contract role being sold as a permanent role.

Given the fact that there are no guarantees of work after the 6 month asignment I feel I am having to accept alot of the risk.
    Lower salary as not being paid a day rate
    My Tax status will be affected
    There is no guarantee of work at the end of the 6 month assignment so I would be taking a permanent wage but while having all of the risks of being a contractor.
    I don't feel like the salary reflects that fairly.
    Travelling expenses are not covered.

Any advice? Has anyone encountered this before?
    Thanks.

Isn't it just a normal short term employment contract? So you are effectively a temp employee, no different to Sharon in the typing pool*

*Showing my age and sexism there

Comment

I did this through Manpower, for a role at IBM. It lasted 3.5 years and it was very well remunerated, plus it carried 29 days fully paid leave, sick leave, and significant overtime provisions. When it ended, I got statutory redundancy.

Perhaps, I was lucky?
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by irishsparks View Post
        Hi,

I've recently been apprached about a role through Experis. I've been advised by the Programme manager that he wants me in the role and no one else, therefore the role is there for me if I want it. Unfortunately, the only way he can get me into the role is to go through Experis (internal policies apparently). It's a 6 month contract with the view to extend. However, Experis have informed me that for me to take the role I need to become a permanent "Experis Employed Consultant". This brings with it an obvious pay cut (from contract) as the salary being offered is nothing like the day rate I know the client are paying Experis for the role.

I've confirmed with them that at the end of the 6 month engagement if there are no other opportunities then I would be let go. So I feel this is a contract role being sold as a permanent role.

Given the fact that there are no guarantees of work after the 6 month asignment I feel I am having to accept alot of the risk.
        There is no guarantee of work at the end of the 6 month assignment so I would be taking a permanent wage but while having all of the risks of being a contractor.

Thanks.
        I've encountered that kind of thing before and either found a way to work around it or walked away.

Process I would follow:

1 Go back to Experis and tell them you're not working for that salary / through that employment model. Seeing as this post is for you, they have no alternative way of filling this. They do contract daily rate bods in (see Web Ops Engineer - AWS - Inside IR35 - Remote with ref. J288389A_1595257555 - Experis ) so they are capable of doing this if they want to. Alternatively they could convert the daily rate to salary and pay you properly.

2 (if 1 unsuccessful) Tell end client (if you have a contact there) exactly what happened in step 1 and see if they have an alternative (e.g. Hays) intermediary. Sometimes they do but it's not their preference; or they forget about it; alternatively see if they can pressurise Experis to get you what you wanted in step 1.

3 (If 2 unsuccessful) Walk away.

Comment

I've been advised by the Programme manager that he wants me in the role and no one else
          As above - tell them you want more and it will comes down to whether you believe this. If so, you're in a strong position. If he was just blowing smoke up your a$$, then you'll be looking for another role.

Is the client one which has said they won't engage with PSCs any more?

Comment

Experis will be paying you via Man Power.

The rate on the contract is shocking vs the rate you saw the ad for... sod all you can do about that but haggle / hope.

The "paid holiday" is taken from the difference in the above, as is ENI, Pension etc etc. Think of it more as an umbrella engagement, without the umbrella... the net rate (should) be) will be similar to umbrella rates.

In my case, the net was a bout 20% lower than my PSC net based on on headline day rate... but it was an 18 month engagement out of the box, which I considered vs the looming IR35, Brexit and recessions...

YMMV

M

Comment

So what will the Programme Manager do if they can't get you? Will the project be cancelled? I doubt it.

You're the PM's first choice but they will find someone else if a mutually agreeable mechanism can't be found.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                So what will the Programme Manager do if they can't get you? Will the project be cancelled? I doubt it.

You're the PM's first choice but they will find someone else if a mutually agreeable mechanism can't be found.
                Correct. Instead of accepting and sulking, he/she should stand his/her ground or accept it whole heartedly.

Comment

Surely it's going to be a massive salary increase? Anything had to be an increase when you are on around 700bquid a month surely!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks.
                    A lot of agencies call these fixed term contracts (FTC). You go on the payroll, and have none of the advantages of being a contractor, while not having the job security of being an employee. They will pay the employers NI, and deduct employment taxes. You get paid holidays.

I have always seen FTCs over the last 20 years on job boards. They were never popular, because most contractors quite rightly think they are crap.

I have seen a lot more FTCs on the job boards during Covid. Perhaps agencies feel it is a way of paying you a lot less, while confusing you with bulltulip terms like "employed consultant", which implies you have employment rights and perks.

Another driver is that many financial services companies insist contractors are either using umbrella or on a payroll.

In a normal market I would avoid FTCs. But in this dreadful market, I guess you need to weigh up using an FTC, against being on the bench for a long time. The big issue with the FTC model is the absense of limited company expenses, can you afford the travel and subsistence, paying for them out of your salary?

Comment

Working...
                    X