• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reference checks: my contract states 'Test Analyst' but my CV states 'Test Lead'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reference checks: my contract states 'Test Analyst' but my CV states 'Test Lead'

I've secured a new contract within an investment management firm and they are in the process of completing reference checks. On my CV my previous role was noted as 'Test Lead' as I was leading a team of testers however my contract states 'Test Analyst'. I hadn't noticed this before and I'm now wondering if this could potentially impact my current reference check.

Is it possible to request that my recruiment agency only provide the dates of my previous job without mentioning the job title?

Originally posted by Breakabreaka View Post
    I've secured a new contract within an investment management firm and they are in the process of completing reference checks. On my CV my previous role was noted as 'Test Lead' as I was leading a team of testers however my contract states 'Test Analyst'. I hadn't noticed this before and I'm now wondering if this could potentially impact my current reference check.

Is it possible to request that my recruiment agency only provide the dates of my previous job without mentioning the job title?
    Having had same issue (change manger / project manager) they will ask you to explain the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

If asked, would your client say you were a test lead or a test analyst?
      Last edited by Paralytic; 21 July 2020, 14:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        If asked, would your client say you were a test lead or a test analyst?
        Test Lead.

Comment

Test Lead.
          Should be ok then - I can't imagine how this new agency/client would see your previous contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            Should be ok then - I can't imagine how this new agency/client would see your previous contract.
            They will contact the recruiment agency to confirm role title and I imagine the agency will just read whatever is in the contract.

Comment

They will contact the recruiment agency to confirm role title and I imagine the agency will just read whatever is in the contract.
              That's pretty much how the referencing goes. Very unlikely they'll talk to the client.

Comment

There is nothing to worry. I was in a similar situation. Who doesn't Fib eh?

1. If the previous role was an extended contract you can say "Joined as a test analyst but was asked to act as Test Lead" and that you didn't bother to ask an amended contract.

2. Investment firms generally ask your Accountant to provide reference rather than calling each and every agency you have worked with. It is practically not possible. Agencies might have been closed, people moved etc.

Comment

They don't check the references against your CV, Do not worry. You give them names roles and dates and I've never seen they crosss referenced it against my CV
                  Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Job roles and job titles can be (and often are) different things.

But, in answer to this

Yes, it is possible to request this.

Comment

Working...
                    X