• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charge client to collect work laptop

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charge client to collect work laptop

Good afternoon,

I'm starting a new contract tomorrow and was expecting my laptop to be couriered to me.

That didn't happen by COP Friday so client said they'd get somebody to drop it in since they were passing by.

Just got a text telling me he's 30 miles away and could I drive over and get it from him.

So, am I in my rights to tell him I'll be charging 45p per mile travel costs plus 2 hours @ my usual rate x 2 because it's a Sunday?

No - grow up

You Sound like a permietractor as using client equipment, real business don’t use clients laptops

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

What GoT said. Although if it's really that important to you, you can of course charge your company (or your umbrella) 60 miles at 45p, or a whole £27 business mileage.

Then go away and look up the meaning of "Client".
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        No - grow up

You Sound like a permietractor as using client equipment, real business don’t use clients laptops

BS! Some clients insist on using their kit when connecting remotely to their network. No issue re IR35 or anything else. I've had several clients where they provide a laptop at the start of the contract, fully encrypted to protect against data loss if laptop lost or stolen (or left on a train ) and authorised to access their network via VPN, then hand it back at the end (or courier it back to them if that works for both parties).

I've never bothered about the cost of a bit of petrol and time involved in travelling to collect it though. All part of the setup costs of doing business, claimable as an expense.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

You can charge your company but I suspect the client will tell you to FRO unless it was in the contract that they would deliver their equipment to your door.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            You can charge your company but I suspect the client will tell you to FRO unless it was in the contract that they would deliver their equipment to your door.
            Wasn't in the contract but that is what the said they would do.

Will leave tomorrow at 9am to go up to pick it up. Do it during the time they are paying me in other words.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              No - grow up

It's whether you have to do the work personally. Many clients have a security policy that anything can only be done on the computers issued by them.

CEST tool specifically says that laptops are excluded and cannot influence status determination and you can have an "inside IR35" contract where you need to provide your own laptop.

Comment

RM, be thankful you actually Have a contract and start it on The Right Foot.

We are in an environment where people are short staffed and 'pitching in' might be less of an offer and more of a necessity. Also as others have said, finding the definition of Client might provide focus.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                  It's whether you have to do the work personally. Many clients have a security policy that anything can only be done on the computers issued by them.

Like every single of my banking clients in the past 15 years has required this with me and the thousands of people in my teams

99.9% all permietractors in reality

Comment

A few years back. I went to the clients local offices (100 miles away) to pick up one of their laptops for my use. I billed them for the time (expenses were included in my rate). They paid up, no issue whatsoever.

Didn't occur to me it was anything other than perfectly normal. I'm quite surprised at the responses here about permie mindset etc.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X