• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can an Agency ask me to wait to get paid until they get paid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacquibo View Post
    It appears today, that the client / agency relationship has totally broken down and the contract terminated.

I don't have anything in writing yet just via a call but all kinds of threats being made about the non compete clause which makes the original question rather irrelevant now.

I did however, establish that the person who asked my if I would wait to get paid did not have any kind of authority to do so.
    If the agency relationship has completely broken down then the non compete clause is irrelevant, the agency doesn't have any work to offer you at that client.

However, as the client clearly doesn't have the funds to continue the project you really shouldn't be wasting anymore time on them, prioritise finding another contract.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      I believe the next step is to read up on the Dunning Process but I am sure better qualified people than me will confirm that.
      Debt Collection and Debt Recovery from Safe Collections used to post here - ask them what to actually do to chase the agency for payment...

Comment

It appears today, that the client / agency relationship has totally broken down and the contract terminated.

I don't have anything in writing yet just via a call but all kinds of threats being made about the non compete clause which makes the original question rather irrelevant now.

I did however, establish that the person who asked my if I would wait to get paid did not have any kind of authority to do so.

Two things here:

Firstly, do you know if the client has the money to engage you directly? The non-compete clause is null and void because if the agency cannot provide a service to the client, then they cannot compete. Case closed.

Secondly, get the money already owed - as others have already said, Dunning is your friend.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Two things here:

Firstly, do you know if the client has the money to engage you directly? The non-compete clause is null and void because if the agency cannot provide a service to the client, then they cannot compete. Case closed.

Secondly, get the money already owed - as others have already said, Dunning is your friend.
          Probably worth saying don't do anything obvious with the client until after the agency has paid you, don't give them a reason (no matter how tenuous ) to avoid payment.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Probably worth saying don't do anything obvious with the client until after the agency has paid you, don't give them a reason (no matter how tenuous ) to avoid payment.
            Correct.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              And get everything confirmed in writing/email rather than stuff said over the phone, pimps are liable to try stuff on in these situations.

Welcome to contracting. Good luck with the next gig.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Hey,

Just reading and noted some similarities to a thread I'm awaiting publication by moderators. You might be covered by conduct regulations, and if so, the agency isn't allowed not to pay you if they haven't been paid, or even if timesheets haven't been approved. So if they're talking about not paying you for work already done, it might be worth having a full and frank conversation about it.

Comment

Update 2

Hi All and thanks for all your replies.

I sought independent legal advice myself on where I stood with everything that had gone on, it seemed a small amount to pay for peace of mind Although it didn't give me an definitive answer it did highlight some interesting points.

1. Agency has paid for June work
                  2. Client / Agency one of them hasn't yet uploaded or signed off the July timesheets
                  3. Client has paid all outstanding invoices to agency
                  4. I can no longer be sure there relationship has broken down irretrievably
                  5. Solicitor says agency have a pretty good handcuff clause as I signed it twice to say it was fair (once as a goodwill letter)
                  6. Solicitor says I have a pretty good change of breaking said clause as there was not financial penalty included (5 and 6 are at odds I know)
                  7. Opt-out clause and when it was signed are apparently very important. If the client was unaware of the opt-out BEFORE you are introduced (yes this includes interview) then it can invalidate the restriction and opt in then applies.
                  8. A similar argument was put forward for when I signed the opt-out. (I haven't had a contract yet which I signed before interview so I am a little wary of this)

Please don't shoot me down for writing this I am simply passing on what I have been told so that someone else may benefit in the future

Comment

If the agent-client relationship has broken down independent of anything you have or haven't done it would be virtually impossible for the agent to prove financial loss due to any continuing relationship you may have with the client.

Comment

Hi All and thanks for all your replies.

I sought independent legal advice myself on where I stood with everything that had gone on, it seemed a small amount to pay for peace of mind Although it didn't give me an definitive answer it did highlight some interesting points.

1. Agency has paid for June work
                      2. Client / Agency one of them hasn't yet uploaded or signed off the July timesheets
                      3. Client has paid all outstanding invoices to agency
                      4. I can no longer be sure there relationship has broken down irretrievably
                      5. Solicitor says agency have a pretty good handcuff clause as I signed it twice to say it was fair (once as a goodwill letter)
                      6. Solicitor says I have a pretty good change of breaking said clause as there was not financial penalty included (5 and 6 are at odds I know)
                      7. Opt-out clause and when it was signed are apparently very important. If the client was unaware of the opt-out BEFORE you are introduced (yes this includes interview) then it can invalidate the restriction and opt in then applies.
                      8. A similar argument was put forward for when I signed the opt-out. (I haven't had a contract yet which I signed before interview so I am a little wary of this)

Please don't shoot me down for writing this I am simply passing on what I have been told so that someone else may benefit in the future
                      7 isn't strictly correct. It has to be communicated before introduction or supply. Most agencies have it on their client schedule issued prior to an assignment so it would be rare for that not to happen. Lots of quick turnaround placements might not be valid as the contractor didn't opt out before start date but usually professional contracts are done in advance so are valid. Even when opted in a handcuff clause can apply, it just limits how harsh it can be.

Comment

Working...
                      X