• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online Test for Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    Are you sure about increased emphasis on control? With Covid, most organisations are now talking about the complete opposite with largely remote workforces longer term.
    Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    Working remotely and control aren't the same thing.
    No, but given most organisations are now talking about increasing empowerment of staff, controlling them will be a lot more difficult for many managers when they can't physically see them all the time.

Organisations with continuing high levels of control are likely to be the ones that will eventually wither away in the face of more open, collaborative and nimble competitors. It will also be a lot harder for them to recruit good staff.

Comment

The online tests I have done are mostly awful, you need a maths degree etc to understand complex formulas etc

best tests and when they just ask you to write some a small website for app from scratch with some tests and then one of their devs reviews

The online ones are for the most part a load of sh*te

Comment

I never do well with contracts that require tests (which is odd as historically I am quite good at exams) and/or multiple interviews.

Oddly I find contracts that involve a 15 minute chat then starting the following Monday the best ones.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          I never do well with contracts that require tests (which is odd as historically I am quite good at exams) and/or multiple interviews.

Oddly I find contracts that involve a 15 minute chat then starting the following Monday the best ones.
          Totally agree with this

Comment

I had one with a test on technologies I didn't know and I got everything wrong and they still asked me to start on Monday. Why even bother?

Comment

Or get them to wait while you work out your notice period at your current client.

Comment

3 companies have asked me to do tests recently. Pre-covid, no company had asked me to do a test.

Really sad times. And total waste of time.

I guess they use it to filter out the hundreds of applications..

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                  3 companies have asked me to do tests recently. Pre-covid, no company had asked me to do a test.

Really sad times. And total waste of time.

I guess they use it to filter out the hundreds of applications..
                  I remember when this was a rare thing. An agent asked me to take one in order to be put through. I said "and if I decline?" and was told the agency wouldn't put me forward. I said "fine" and that was the end of that.

Of course this was in the glory days when you could be choosy and something would turn up the next week...

Now I would take the test. Worst case you get better at tests.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    I remember when this was a rare thing. An agent asked me to take one in order to be put through. I said "and if I decline?" and was told the agency wouldn't put me forward. I said "fine" and that was the end of that.

Of course this was in the glory days when you could be choosy and something would turn up the next week...

Now I would take the test. Worst case you get better at tests.
                    I stick to my guns on the issue of taking tests. They mean nothing. A friend passed Java certification years ago - took 2 weeks off, memorised everything, flew through the certification test. By his own admission, wasn't a good developer at that point because developing is far, far more than remembering syntactical minutae you rarely if ever use...

When asked to take a test, my stock response is that I've a fairly well stocked Github account, plenty of repositories there for my ability and talents to be assessed in a far batter manner than a crass test.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                      I stick to my guns on the issue of taking tests. They mean nothing. A friend passed Java certification years ago - took 2 weeks off, memorised everything, flew through the certification test. By his own admission, wasn't a good developer at that point because developing is far, far more than remembering syntactical minutae you rarely if ever use...

When asked to take a test, my stock response is that I've a fairly well stocked Github account, plenty of repositories there for my ability and talents to be assessed in a far batter manner than a crass test.
                      Totally agree with you. Just now it's not the sort of market where you can be choosy. If things ever go back to normal you can re-instate your "no test policy"

Comment

Working...
                      X