• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asked to take a rate cut during contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My current client asked all contractors to take a voluntary 10% rate cut. I had got wind of it from my manager (I'm operating inside IR35 so I can call him that), then got an email a couple of days later pointing me to Survey Monkey. The question was quite simply would I be willing to accept a 10% pay cut. I clicked no and I haven't heard anything since.

Comment

Current client applied a rate cut starting this month.

I didn't counter because my contract ends in September and it wasn't a big cut.

If there is an extension on offer I fully expect there to be further cuts.

I know quite a few excellent contractor's who have had to take rate cuts. Up to you to decide whether you feel confident enough to find something else in the current climate.

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
        My current client asked all contractors to take a voluntary 10% rate cut. I had got wind of it from my manager (I'm operating inside IR35 so I can call him that), then got an email a couple of days later pointing me to Survey Monkey. The question was quite simply would I be willing to accept a 10% pay cut. I clicked no and I haven't heard anything since.
        Your name is on zzzzzlist

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Short answer is yes, they cannot only ask but implement a rate cut.

Ive been presented with a rate cut option twice. Once I told them to stick it and had trouble finding work for an enforced period as the market tanked not long after I left.

2nd time I swallowed it, took the money but didnt do any extra hours. Stayed for another 9 months as the market was quiet then left and got a role at a significantly higher rate.

Gorses for courses.

Comment

Working...
          X