• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New starter checklist: A, B or C?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it really a Fixed Term Contract... Like a job.. Or a contract that has a fixed end date?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Is it really a Fixed Term Contract... Like a job.. Or a contract that has a fixed end date?
      HMRC don't care about that - this is about how they handle the PAYE registration given that there is no P60 to work from.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        OK, I think the issue is that the OP hasn't bothered to tell us about the options they are filling in, just some other stuff.
        Not very helpful!

If the OP means this section:

Then the answer is B.

If they are asking about some other part of the form or something else that we have to guess, then only they can know, based on the lack of information given by them.
        I wrote the three options out in full - exactly as they appear on the HMRC page - in my initial post, along with a synopsis of the relevant facts about my situation. Not sure what you were looking at, but I certainly didn't think I'd left out anything pertinent.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2795244

Anyway thanks for taking the time to help.
        Last edited by Hollyhock; 4 August 2020, 15:36.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          OK, I think the issue is that the OP hasn't bothered to tell us about the options they are filling in, just some other stuff.
          Not very helpful!

If the OP means this section:

Then the answer is B.

If they are asking about some other part of the form or something else that we have to guess, then only they can know, based on the lack of information given by them.
          How is it B? - he is self employed which means he hasn't had what the PAYE section of HMRC regards as a job and which is contained within an entirely different section of a self assessment form as it is taxed in an entirely different way to PAYE employment...

For a Mod you have managed to fail to ask sensible questions 3 times and then got the answer wrong due to an inability to understand what HMRC is actually asking...

Comment

Originally posted by Hollyhock View Post
            I wrote the three options out in full - exactly as they appear on the HMRC page - in my initial post, along with a synopsis of the relevant facts about my situation. Not sure what you were looking at, but I certainly didn't think I'd left out anything pertinent.
            Er, how about the question that is being asked to which you have to select A, B or C?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
              Er, how about the question that is being asked to which you have to select A, B or C?
              See the OP's first post on this thread...

Comment

I included them in my original post?

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2795244

If I was confused when I came on here I'm certainly none the wiser now!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  How is it B? - he is self employed which means he hasn't had what the PAYE section of HMRC regards as a job and which is contained within an entirely different section of a self assessment form as it is taxed in an entirely different way to PAYE employment...

For a Mod you have managed to fail to ask sensible questions 3 times and then got the answer wrong due to an inability to understand what HMRC is actually asking...

I must humbly apologise. If HMRC say they did not have a job, then it's A.

(For Paralytic and others, see post 10 of the thread which shows the question as it is worded on the form)
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    See the OP's first post on this thread...
                    Originally posted by Hollyhock View Post
                    I included them in my original post?
                    Nope, still not seeing it. I see the 3 options, but not the question that leads to that selection. There's a dead-end reference to asking about a "job". WTFH's first post has added the context setting you missed:

Your present circumstances
                    Read all the following statements carefully and enter 'X' in the one box that applies to you.
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 4 August 2020, 16:56.

Comment

Nope, still not seeing it. I see the 3 options, but not the question that leads to that selection. There's a dead-end reference to asking about a "job". WTFH's first post has added the context setting you missed:
                      Sorry if it wasn't clear. It's not really a 'dead end' reference though, as it relates to the HMRC questions directly. They specifically ask whether you had another 'job' in the current tax year and I simply wanted to know if my self employment from earlier in the year counted as a job or not, since it's about as clear as mud.

Statement C

- Choose this statement if:

• you have another job and/or

But no matter, I've asked my accountant now, which despite his usual slowness probably would have saved me more time had I done it instead of coming on here in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                      X