• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Join the FSB?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Fair enough. I’m sure they’re not all like that.
    As for the OP. He can get himself in as a guest and make his own mind up.
    Indeed I have been as a guest, and whilst I can see it works for some businesses, I can't see it working for mine, not for the money you have to put up anyway.

Cheers for all your comments, shocking story about the Golf Club incident. For the money BNI charge prob would be better spent on a golf club membership far more chances of networking. (Not that I would do this, I am hopeless at it).

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      Indeed I have been as a guest, and whilst I can see it works for some businesses, I can't see it working for mine, not for the money you have to put up anyway.

Cheers for all your comments, shocking story about the Golf Club incident. For the money BNI charge prob would be better spent on a golf club membership far more chances of networking. (Not that I would do this, I am hopeless at it).

qh
      Do have a look at these people. They are more relaxed than BNI but still do a lot of business together. Network for just a fiver!
      They have moved online only but will be going back to face to face as and when they can as per the covid situation.

As I did mention earlier I may have an offer through someone who is looking to me to invest in their business that has a networking/protection/insurance/discounts offer but that is as much as 9 months away.
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

My brother went to one of these and the trouble was that people only go as they want to sell their wares, there aren't any real buyers and it smacked of desperation.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          No, not Putin's secret police but Federation of Small Businesses.

I am IPSE+ member but wondering if it is worth swapping? I was looking at another Networking group 'BNI Connect', however it is nearly £900 per year for the membership and I read that it doesn't really work for techy based businesses, more geared for Cake makers, plumbers etc.

Edit: FSB good for networking? Some decent reviews on Trustpilot.

qh
          FSB was worthwhile when they had a free banking agreement with the Co Op but that option ended to new members a few years ago IIRC. You also got a £25 annualloyalty bonus which offset about a quarter of the annual FSB membership. That too has ended for everyone, again, IIRC!

FSB is a good organisation for any business.

BNI is a waste of time imho. I ran another business for a while and went around a few of these 'breakfast' clubs. Was going to join the local BNI but it went tits up for some reason. Joined another and essentially if you cannot provide 'leads' into other companies, you didnt get any yourself.

Kind of defeats the object for a new start up if you ask me.

Are either going to help in this market? Very much doubt it from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post

Are either going to help in this market? Very much doubt it from my experience.
            FSB probably is going to help a little especially on the protection front. As for networking. I won't harp on about BNI as I have made my views clear but there are other options for networking that might be worth a shout.

I think the thing for most contractors is to avoid networking groups where referrals are mandatory. Many contractors won't have the breadth and depth of a network to continually produce referrals for a group. Others have already that this is better for smaller work and you will be unlikely to get a 6 monther at bank out of it for example. For this I would advise people to work their existing contacts perhaps taking a manager out for a good lunch?
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Working...
            X