• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going perm or waiting it out - numbers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After repeated offers/invitations from clients, I took the chance and went perm a few years back. Named my price, client practically invented the job for me and I was reporting to board level.

Hated it hated it hated. I knew I'd made a bad decision while leafing through the contract - annual leave days, sickness policy, grievance policy, blah blah blah. Truth is from day one I knew I'd be back - left the Ltd Co ticking over and quit pretty much 12 months to the day. I was on the fence and I got an e-mail to say we'd been brought out - wrote my resignation there and then.

So, on that basis, I'll be doing everything in my power to avoid a perm job. I'm not saying I'm in some way special and won't be impacted by IR35, but for me, almost anything is better than Perm. Plus, I try not to be too cynical. That said, I do think I'm well positioned - I do almost pure project work and have a lot of gigs that are so far out of IR35 it's untrue but I'm certainly not naive enough to think things aren't about to get tough.

I've currently got two projects ongoing with the type of boutique consultancy mentioned previously, and still have contacts in others - hopefully, their gain can be my gain though there's a challenge around the consistency of supply at the minute. Ad-hoc projects are hard to manage and tend to be very London bus esque - sit on your arse for weeks, then you're juggling and turning down projects. Rinse and repeat.
    Last edited by vwdan; 10 August 2020, 18:41.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Hated it hated it hated.
      Yes, permanent work is not for everybody. There's a whole level of mental flexibility and toughness involved, which a lot of contractors lack.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
        Yes, permanent work is not for everybody. There's a whole level of mental flexibility and toughness involved, which a lot of contractors lack.
        Or I was just enjoying a very relaxed summer off learning to fly planes and realised I wouldn't be able to do the same in permie employment. I know it's CUK and reaching new levels of cretinous is part of the course, but it's not like I woke up at 18 as a contractor. I did over a decade in permanent employment and did very well out of it, but I knew from my first week into contracting that I'd made the best decision of my life.

Comment

Mental flexibility? Permie world is the same task repeated over and over. Most melt down when you introduce even the slightest bit of change. It's actually a big part of the reason why so many of us have been able to contract.

Comment

Got a contract outside IR35 going to extend till March next year. If they blanket me inside, then I’m closing ltd down asap.

Work inside IR35 if I have to till I’m 55, then semi retire. Never going perm again. Go Fixed Term if I’m desperate. My goal is to make enough from investments, so might do that more seriously.

Come 60.. I’m done.
            Last edited by BABABlackSheep; 11 August 2020, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
              Mental flexibility?
              Yes, the mental flexibility of dealing with the tulip permanent staff have to deal with. This is why so many contractors freak out as soon as they hear things like "quarterly review"....they lack the mental flexibility and toughness to deal with this tulip. That's why a lot prefer contracting.

Comment

Yes, the mental flexibility of dealing with the tulip permanent staff have to deal with. This is why so many contractors freak out as soon as they hear things like "quarterly review"....they lack the mental flexibility and toughness to deal with this tulip. That's why a lot prefer contracting.
                Very true. You spend 10 years in smug mode not having to do reviews etc, whilst on 2*take home. No one needs that tulip in their lives again.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
                  Very true. You spend 10 years in smug mode not having to do reviews etc, whilst on 2*take home. No one needs that tulip in their lives again.
                  It would be the quarterly bit I hate - if you want to ask me or complain about something do it immediately or at least that week. Don't keep quiet and use it to score points months later.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It's more to do with "master - servant" relationship. Permie must convince him or herself that serfdom is good and that they must do everything they can to please their master.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
                      You're proving my point: smug mode because you don't have to do reviews? Get real.

I was a permie for years and reviews never bothered me as much as they do seem to bother most of contractors. They start freaking out at the idea of having to go through quarterly reviews again? What a bunch of softies. Shows zero mental toughness if that's enough to put you off. These contractors are just a big joke.

As per the 2*take home....that ship has sailed long time ago. Nowadays that difference is way smaller than it was.

Comment

Working...
                      X