• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going perm or waiting it out - numbers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despite having a contract until the end of the year, I applied for 2 permanent roles last week, one of which at current client.

My last 2 contracts were both inside ir35 with daily rate basically the same as the one for outside roles. Been looking at how the contract market has changed in the last 6-12 months: there's less and less contracts coming up and the rates are slowly going down. Haven't seen an outside role in ages.

To me, it's not worth it anymore. I'm ready to take my salary, bonus and pension

Comment

Those who 'went' perm.......? Jesus wept.

Anhoo, I fear anyone who is trying to sit it out is going to be waiting a pretty long time. The longer you are sat 'waiting,' the less appealing you start to become to agents when there is a contract role going.

My suggestion (and no, you dont have to take it) is like in any downturn, you need a strategy and not sit on yer bum waiting for things to happen. Yes, lottery wins do happen to a lucky few, the rest of us keep hoping.

Remember the old addage, a week without income is money lost and never recovered. You may have a big warchest but why fritter it away for nothing but stubbornness?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
        Those who 'went' perm.......? Jesus wept.

Anhoo, I fear anyone who is trying to sit it out is going to be waiting a pretty long time. The longer you are sat 'waiting,' the less appealing you start to become to agents when there is a contract role going.

My suggestion (and no, you dont have to take it) is like in any downturn, you need a strategy and not sit on yer bum waiting for things to happen. Yes, lottery wins do happen to a lucky few, the rest of us keep hoping.

Remember the old addage, a week without income is money lost and never recovered. You may have a big warchest but why fritter it away for nothing but stubbornness?
        Aiming to find a perm role isn't really that much different from contracting now. Organisations are looking for people who can come in and fix specific problems for them. For the next 12 months, it's likely to remain a buyer's market and hence with supply being much greater than demand, you really need something to stand out against the increasing competition for perm roles.

Your perm job hunting strategy should be to identify exactly what skills and experience makes you stand out and which organisations are you most likely to appeal to in order to solve their problems. Just applying to dozens or hundreds of jobs online is unlikely to get you very far.

According to a recruiter post I saw recently, the chances of getting an interview from a perm online application where you have no advantage such as a connection with the company, its staff or the recruiter was previously about 1-3%. Now it's half that.

Comment

I’ve decided to go perm and am currently exploring a number of senior/lead roles. A surprising number of perm Ruby roles out there that are paying well (anywhere from £70-100k for a lead role) although I’m leaning more towards an iOS role at the moment. Looking at remote positions for California based companies for the best salaries, anywhere up to $200k for senior roles.

Not in any rush though, got a healthy war chest, taking my time. Freelance work has dried up and the contract market is dead. How’s the time I think. Plan is to aim for CTO level roles in the next 5-10 years.

Comment

Extra question for people going permanent, are you liquidating via ER with the consequence of not being able to start up again in the next two years, or planning to take the money out via a different method?

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
              Extra question for people going permanent, are you liquidating via ER with the consequence of not being able to start up again in the next two years, or planning to take the money out via a different method?
              ER while the option still exists, it’s a no-brainer. I don’t foresee a return to freelancing any time soon, if ever.

Most of the perks available to a freelancer - good pay, freedom to work how, when and where you choose etc. are increasingly available in the perm world these days if you find the right employer and the amount of remote first roles is only going to increase.
              Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 10 August 2020, 13:02.

Comment

I'm hedging my bets. Currently 50/50.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  ER while the option still exists, it’s a no-brainer. I don’t foresee a return to freelancing any time soon, if ever.

Most of the perks available to a freelancer - good pay, freedom to work how, when and where you choose etc. are increasingly available in the perm world these days if you find the right employer and the amount of remote first roles is only going to increase.
                  I wonder will changes to CGT in the Autumn budget have an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

What company are you doing the liquidation through?

I'm seriously considering using ER whilst it's still there, planning to switch industries, so would be permanent for a while anyway.

Comment

I haven’t thought that far ahead yet. More focussed on getting a new job first, will continue paying dividends in the meantime. Probably Maslins.

Comment

Working...
                      X