• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going perm or waiting it out - numbers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number 3 is hardly common. The number of contractors I've met that have never had, or would take anything further a way than an hours commute still surprises me.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Number 3 is hardly common. The number of contractors I've met that have never had, or would take anything further a way than an hours commute still surprises me.
      Family reasons for me - wife has serious health issues, youngest has special needs.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        You are special
        At the time of only one person having responded to your categorical statement, which was flatly refuted, I'm not sure your then saying he's 'special' does your initial statement any favours.
        Last edited by simes; 15 August 2020, 11:52.

Comment

I know I've said this before, but I think my consultancy background is what made my transition to contracting so so easy. The vast majority of the mindset is near identical IMHO

The idea that I would, or could, contract close to home just wasn't on the cards - I follow the projects, and have for a decade now.

Comment

Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
            Have you taken the "contractor mentality" (patent pending) questionnaire?

1. Is your profession simply a way to make money to fund other interests.
            2. Do you agree with the saying "The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have".
            3. Are you prepared to work almost anywhere in the world.
            4. Are you comfortable taking responsibility for every aspect of your life (skills development, finding work, finding accommodation, tax management, pension planning).
            5. Would you consider yourself a contrarian to mainstream thoughts and opinions.
            6. Do you have competent presentation and communication skills in your chosen profession.

and the bonus question (not essential, but useful)

7. Are you competent in your chosen profession.

If you answered "yes" to the above, then you will thrive as a contractor and will never have a shortage of work.

If you answered "no" to question 7, consider that the world is a big place, and you will have many opportunities to learn your trade and still have a future in contracting.
            Let's face it, IT is not exactly renowned for having lots of people with good presentation and communication skills...

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              Let's face it, IT is not exactly renowned for having lots of people with good presentation and communication skills...
              Yeah I wonder what kind of contract work he is doing? Definitely not a technical role.

Comment

Seven yeses from me.

Comment

I just got renewed until the end of the year. It’s via a ‘boutique consultancy’ as others have mentioned. They do the hard work of finding the clients, sell a bit of leadership on top and then call up the consultants and place onsite.

All outside IR35 and contracts are based on outcomes.

Not sure what will happen after December. I’ll probably take a long extended break. After 22 years in the business I’m tired. Got a nice big war chest (in S&S ISAs and SIPPs) so may not come back...

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Plenty of them on here. Or they'll tell you they would, but never have.

Doing foreign holidays paid for by the previous year's airline and hotel points, having gold/platinum cards for IHG, HH, Marriott, BA, KLM, etc.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

4 yes
                      3 no

That's why I'm comfortable in both environments

Comment

Working...
                      X