• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HAYS messed up my onboarding process and now I have no job to go to!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAYS messed up my onboarding process and now I have no job to go to!

Hi All,

I'm hoping you can help me here .. I was approached by a company (that i worked for till Jan this year) about a contract on the 10th July. I said I was very interested, and they put me in touch with their agency HAYs to do the background checks.

Basically despite me having actually worked for my previous contract and HAYs saying they had a lot of information already and despite me replying and providing information to HAYs within the hour on information they asked for, and then replying back to the same questions and wanting the same documents again, they took a month to come back to me and say I'd passed, by this time the client turned round and said it took so long and offer withdrawn, do I have a case here for suing HAYs?

Best Regards
    David

Originally posted by Davenutter View Post
    Hi All,

I'm hoping you can help me here .. I was approached by a company (that i worked for till Jan this year) about a contract on the 10th July. I said I was very interested, and they put me in touch with their agency HAYs to do the background checks.

Basically despite me having actually worked for my previous contract and HAYs saying they had a lot of information already and despite me replying and providing information to HAYs within the hour on information they asked for, and then replying back to the same questions and wanting the same documents again, they took a month to come back to me and say I'd passed, by this time the client turned round and said it took so long and offer withdrawn, do I have a case here for suing HAYs?

Best Regards
    David
    Very unlikely, I'm afraid.

Comment

Hi All,

Best Regards
      David
      Hays did full background checks for me when i rejoined the same client after a gap of 2 weeks and took their own sweet time.
      Nothing you can do.

Comment

Wow ... it's pretty shocking they can get away with this and mess folk around like that, thanks for your words, it's appreciated!

Regards
        David

Comment

I was once delayed and extra 2 weeks because hays did not provide a reference to hays in a timely manner

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

do I have a case here for suing HAYs?
            None whatsoever.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi All,

Best Regards
              David
              You could try suing them but Im pretty confident you wont get far with it.

The lesson here, especially when you've worked with a company before and they approach you about returning, any and I mean any delay or obstacle put in your way by the agency, you should flag up to the company asap. Make the client aware it isnt you being the obstacle and it is the agency dragging their feet etc.

I was once at a repeat client and had been on site for about 18 months when said client dumped all agents and went to a sole agency model. I think the 'new' agency were Hays as well!

The change over should have been seamless but then the agency started demanding 5 years references! I said I dont need to, Ive been on site for 18 months and besides, the current client would be one of the referees taking up 2 previous engagements amounting to about 3 of the 5 year period.

Agency started getting arsey saying ALL contractors must provide the details else they may be walked off site! I said yeah, the client is really going to love that right in the middle of a project.

After the call, I spoke with the contracts manager and he kind of went apetulip saying no insitu contractor should be being asked for references never mind threatened with being walked off site for not providing them.

I heard no more from the agency.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
                Usual Gricer stuff
                Cool story bro!
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi All,

There could have been multiple reasons the offer was withdrawn such as budget no longer being available which is nothing to do with Hays.

The fact that you had worked for this company before (as a perm?) suggests to me that there was another reason why they withdrew the offer. A month isn't really so long that they would decide to start looking for someone else - it would take that long again to advertise/interview/onboard etc.

Unfortunately compliance checks seem to take much longer than they did a few years ago. When I first started contracting, I could be on site the following week after an interview. The level of checks required can vary by sector so highly regulated ones like financial services are usually longer, but in my experience, 2-3 weeks is common now. I've had almost 4 weeks with one client, there's not much you can do apart from pester them and keep the client updated on any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    I was once delayed and extra 2 weeks because hays did not provide a reference to hays in a timely manner

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                    That is the kind of thing you couldn't even make that up!!! How do these cowboys (and girls) get away with it??

Comment

Working...
                    X