• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone ever won anything on DigitalMarketPlace?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    The entire point of ensuring I'm on the list is that if something interesting appears I can go for it and not have to pay an agency x% for doing sod all.
    And, if an agency approaches you, a 30 second check on the DOS platform will tell you if it's something you can directly apply for.

Comment

Got accepted last week. Some very juicy contracts on there. If anyone has been successful with this in the past, I'd be keen to get some tips.

As others have said, it seems chock full of recruitment firms without a scooby doo, but a library of CVs from desperados.

Comment

I've been involved in a couple of projects that have been won on the marketplace. I was told the org I worked for have specific criteria to weed out the small-time one man band operators. One rule was a min of 250k cash in the bank.

Currently involved in a project that was offered at 1.2 million. I can't see how the firm delivering the project will make any money unless there is a juicy support contract to run the service afterwards.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few recruitment agencies pretending to be consultancies bite off more than they can chew.

There is a similar marketplace for research projects and one company I know take on projects at a loss just to keep them ticking over in quiet times.

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
          I've been involved in a couple of projects that have been won on the marketplace. I was told the org I worked for have specific criteria to weed out the small-time one man band operators. One rule was a min of 250k cash in the bank.

Currently involved in a project that was offered at 1.2 million. I can't see how the firm delivering the project will make any money unless there is a juicy support contract to run the service afterwards.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few recruitment agencies pretending to be consultancies bite off more than they can chew.

There is a similar marketplace for research projects and one company I know take on projects at a loss just to keep them ticking over in quiet times.
          As I've commented on before - provided the contract covers the cost of the employees wages that's more than enough.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post

That's interesting. I am involved with bid writing for one of these consultancies, so attempting to learn some of their tricks.

How would the contract issuer ever know that you had £250k in the bank - end of year accounts on CH?

Comment

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post
              That's interesting. I am involved with bid writing for one of these consultancies, so attempting to learn some of their tricks.

How would the contract issuer ever know that you had £250k in the bank - end of year accounts on CH?
              Credit search on the company will reveal quite a bit too. Been a while since I ran one so can't remember exactly what is included.

Comment

They'd provide due diligence and ask for evidence.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, that's to begin with. Filing abbreviated/filleted accounts without the P/L is also a good pointer to a small/unqualified supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
                    Yes, that's to begin with. Filing abbreviated/filleted accounts without the P/L is also a good pointer to a small/unqualified supplier.
                    Out of interest, how do you know that? Have you applied for these opportunities before?

I am happy to disclose the P&L if it means a shot at a gig. I'm surprised that they do this as they essentially disqualify all suppliers who opt for abbreviated micro company accounts?

Comment

Out of interest, how do you know that? Have you applied for these opportunities before?

I am happy to disclose the P&L if it means a shot at a gig. I'm surprised that they do this as they essentially disqualify all suppliers who opt for abbreviated micro company accounts?
                      And that's probably in their risk range. They are looking for financially stable companies so being classed as small probably makes them a risk. It also means they can't fully invetigate their financial situation so in the bin they go. If you want gov business don't opt for abbreviated accounts.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X