• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to refer to contract positions on LinkedIn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to refer to contract positions on LinkedIn

I'm recently back in the world of consulting and have just landed a really great role with a high profile client I'd quite like to shout about.

Obviously I'm not daft enough to do this without checking what's allowed first, but generally speaking, is there any sort of consensus on how to describe contract roles without breaking any rules? I haven't seen anything specific about this in my contract, but it's my understanding that there are sensitivities around this if you're not a permanent member of staff.

My specific role is a long-ish fixed term contract in a totally new sector for me, and will be my primary focus for quite a while, so this feels like a serious career move, and without it on my main CV, my career experience is already looking out-of-date.

So if. you're in this position and LinkedIn is your primary 'shop window', how have you got around this issue so that potential employers have a pretty clear idea of where you worked, even if you couldn't spell it out? I'm just looking for some examples that I could adapt ideally.

Many thanks all.

Just describe them as a large player in X industry.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Hollyhock View Post
      I'm recently back in the world of consulting and have just landed a really great role with a high profile client I'd quite like to shout about.

Obviously I'm not daft enough to do this without checking what's allowed first, but generally speaking, is there any sort of consensus on how to describe contract roles without breaking any rules? I haven't seen anything specific about this in my contract, but it's my understanding that there are sensitivities around this if you're not a permanent member of staff.

My specific role is a long-ish fixed term contract in a totally new sector for me, and will be my primary focus for quite a while, so this feels like a serious career move, and without it on my main CV, my career experience is already looking out-of-date.

So if. you're in this position and LinkedIn is your primary 'shop window', how have you got around this issue so that potential employers have a pretty clear idea of where you worked, even if you couldn't spell it out? I'm just looking for some examples that I could adapt ideally.

Many thanks all.
      My LinkedIn profile is "Director of X, YYYY-current". For anyone interested in such things, company bumpf has a list of clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollyhock View Post
        .....Snip.....

Yes you can announce your new job on LinkedIn.
        It’s not really a contract is it? It’s a FTC... AKA a job.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

FTC means you are employed by them so why couldn't you put them down as your employer?

Comment

Yep, just put your role and the employer down.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Hi all,

What about a contract with a consultancy where it's not the consultancy that is the interesting bit but the end client of the consultancy?

Comment

My first piece of advice - don't update your LinkedIn profile until either after you have finished a gig, or towards the end of it.
                You're not looking for work right now, it doesn't need to be updated (unless it currently says "actively seeking new roles")

Updating it with your latest job that you've just started (even if you don't name the client/employer) is like videoing yourself breaking the speed limit then boasting about it as you send it to the police.
                It might boost your ego to share right now, it will give agents a field day to go chasing after you.

When you get round to updating it, hopefully some of your work will have been successful, so you can talk about "Successfully delivered a xxx project which has improved the yyy (efficiency/cost savings/growth/new...) of a global player in the zzz industry."
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  My first piece of advice - don't update your LinkedIn profile until either after you have finished a gig, or towards the end of it.
                  You're not looking for work right now, it doesn't need to be updated (unless it currently says "actively seeking new roles")

Updating it with your latest job that you've just started (even if you don't name the client/employer) is like videoing yourself breaking the speed limit then boasting about it as you send it to the police.
                  It might boost your ego to share right now, it will give agents a field day to go chasing after you.

When you get round to updating it, hopefully some of your work will have been successful, so you can talk about "Successfully delivered a xxx project which has improved the yyy (efficiency/cost savings/growth/new...) of a global player in the zzz industry."
                  ^ absolutely this.

I will put in some basics to show that I'm not available but never any details of the role until I'm winding up.

However, I do maintain the Word version of my CV throughout the gig as I inevitably forget something and it also means I have a up to date document just case I spot a good opportunity. When the gig ends, it's a quick tidy up job and a copy/paste into LI
                  Last edited by ladymuck; 17 August 2020, 11:46.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

^^^ This + do not connect with any of the clientco's staff and contractors until you left. In case you are advertising yourself as available because the contract sucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X