• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting vs Permanent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting vs Permanent

Hi guys, Looking for some advice!

I have been contracting for 8 months at a rate of £425. I have been offered a position within the company on £60,000 a year plus Van. If I stay contracting there’s enough work for 18 months, whereas the permanent position there is currently 3/4 years work currently.

Limited*

With the current climate and now official in a recession, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Last edited by Deadlyspark1; 26 August 2020, 10:12.

If there's 18 months work there at £425 per day I'd stick with the contract. Unless it is one of these vans KLASSEN LUXURY - Biggest Luxury Marketplace
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Ignoring rates/salary here.. Are you currently working through your own company outside of IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        Ignoring rates/salary here.. Are you currently working through your own company outside of IR35?
        Sounds like a sparky, so CIS is more likely to apply.

OP: please confirm.

Also, please note that most about these parts are IT contractors and that we will have little experience of CIS.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

No such thing as permanent these days. Use permanent jobs to get train and/or climb the ladder.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If contract is outside, I'd do the 18 month contract, dont take any time off except for mandatory bank holidays and you will take home (assuming you extract it all efficiently) what you would working 3 years full time at that rate.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
              If contract is outside, I'd do the 18 month contract, dont take any time off except for mandatory bank holidays and you will take home (assuming you extract it all efficiently) what you would working 3 years full time at that rate.
              Eh? Are you a scheme organiser or something? No holidays for 18 months - log off Mr Sunak.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Using advise instead of advice should be an instant permaban.. Its nearly every new post nowadays.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Using advise instead of advice should be an instant permaban.. Its nearly every new post nowadays.
                  This I agree with. Along with people who think defiantly is how you spell definitely because autocorrect sent them down that route.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Eh? Are you a scheme organiser or something? No holidays for 18 months - log off Mr Sunak.
                    Take holidays between contracts.

Comment

Working...
                    X