• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swiss dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
    That. So you are able to work through Swiss limited company?
    I'll defo going to be pushing for that
    You need to invest 20K in it (at least 10K of which must be cash), and it costs about 3K to set up. Not all cantons accept one person gmbh. Dividend income attracts no tax relief. The all inclusive VAT deals net about 10 francs per 1000 invoiced. On top of that you've got mandatory insurances, pension and accountancy fees.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      You need to invest 20K in it (at least 10K of which must be cash), and it costs about 3K to set up.
      Money is not a problem , I'm relatively well off. I won't ask if it's worthwile , because if it wasn't, an estabilished contractor like yourself wouldn't do it.
      reading on corporate taxes now.. thanks NAT

edit ... actually i'll ask... is it worthwile for 850pd 3 year gig?
      Last edited by GitMaster69; 28 August 2020, 10:34.

Comment

Money is not a problem , I'm relatively well off. I won't ask if it's worthwile , because if it wasn't, an estabilished contractor like yourself wouldn't do it.
        reading on corporate taxes now.. thanks NAT
        If you're already well off, then come on over! Actually. Don't. I don't want the competition.

Comment

850 gives very roughly about CHF 12000 net Get a quote though because of your personal circumstances, holidays etc

You can check on https://www.homegate.ch/de for flats, for a family starting at CHF 3000 upwards.

check on Vergleichen und sparen – comparis.ch for medical insurance

This will cost you at least a few hundred because you have to insure the whole family. You need to get familiar with the options.

Once those costs are covered then it's generally more expensive than the UK but you can usually find an inexpensive option if you shop around.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            850 gives very roughly about CHF 12000 net Get a quote though because of your personal circumstances, holidays etc

You can check on https://www.homegate.ch/de for flats, for a family starting at CHF 3000 upwards.

check on Vergleichen und sparen – comparis.ch for medical insurance

This will cost you at least a few hundred because you have to insure the whole family. You need to get familiar with the options.

Once those costs are covered then it's generally more expensive than the UK but you can usually find an inexpensive option if you shop around.
            Umbrella or via limited? is it possible for newstarter to force hand to go through limited route? I haven't asked yet as I'm gathering info about it (and silently waiting for second offer to come through for a bit of leverage)
            Last edited by GitMaster69; 28 August 2020, 13:36.

Comment

Umbrella or via limited? is it possible for newstarter to force hand to go through limited route? I haven't asked yet...
              My general estimate was based on payroll (65-70% of gross)

Probably you'll be on payroll. Switzerland has a similar rule to IR35, which they enforce at the client, so some companies simply place all contractors through a payroll company.

I would start anyway on payroll, as it will be complicated trying to setup a company.

I would definitely do your own sums. It depends on many things. I just gave you a ballpark figure to start with. Cantonal tax can make a difference, e.g. commuting from Zug. Your age makes a difference as the amount you pay in to the pension goes up as you get older. I would get a quote from a payroll company.

Steuerrechner Schweiz - www.ch.ch
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                My general estimate was based on payroll (65-70% of gross)

Probably you'll be on payroll. Switzerland has a similar rule to IR35, which they enforce at the client, so some companies simply place all contractors through a payroll company.

I would start anyway on payroll, as it will be complicated trying to setup a company.

I would definitely do your own sums. It depends on many things. I just gave you a ballpark figure to start with. Cantonal tax can make a difference, e.g. commuting from Zug. Your age makes a difference as the amount you pay in to the pension goes up as you get older. I would get a quote from a payroll company.

Steuerrechner Schweiz - www.ch.ch
                Have you considered taking limited route blaster?

Comment

Keep in mind that when they quote 850/day in Switzerland. that's before they take out all employee and employer-side taxes. It's not a huge amount, but it's not bad. It's a great place to live, and if you have young children, you'll love it - Switzerland is great for families.

Comment

It doesn't really gain you much. I had multiple concurrent clients and some commission deals, so it worked for me. With a good accountant, you can do some income levelling with dividends. Generally I think it's not worth the effort. One issue is that if you're laid off (having accrued sufficient AHV payments), it's harder to get the unemployment benefit of 80% of your previous salary (capped at ~140K).

Comment

I left Switzerland several years ago but when working there I never considered it. As NAT points out unemployment benefit is incredibly generous in Switzerland. After a year you qualify. The pension contributions do give you a decent pension, so the contributions give you value for money. The main deduction in addition to tax is for the pension.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X