• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swiss dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swiss dilemma

Hello, first time posted long time reader

How does 850CHFpd for 3 years (allegedly) sound to you ? Life changing amount or mediocre that will get sucked by expenses of world 4th most expensive city in the world?

For comparison I was contracting in London @500pd , however I lost my gig because of corona and currently at 340pd just to keep on working...

btw Job in Zurich , offer on table, in a process of 525pd in London as a tech lead.
    Daughter in pre school age, starting school next year

I'm lost.

Depends on what your skill set is. 850 a day isn't a life changing amount. You'll have brolly fees, tax, pension, holiday pay, and both employers and employees social contributions out of that. Further, you'll have to take out Swiss health insurance. You don't have to live in Zürich itself. School doesn't start until 7 (kindergarten from 5-6), so you'll need to think of childcare costs. There's no provision for lunch in Swiss schools.

See here:
    Day rate for contractor - English Forum Switzerland

There are benefits to Switzerland - even Zürich - and you'll be quite well off. But not rich. Really it's a lifestyle question, or just doing something differently for a while.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Depends on what your skill set is. 850 a day isn't a life changing amount. You'll have brolly fees, tax, pension, holiday pay, and both employers and employees social contributions out of that. Further, you'll have to take out Swiss health insurance. You don't have to live in Zürich itself. School doesn't start until 7 (kindergarten from 5-6), so you'll need to think of childcare costs. There's no provision for lunch in Swiss schools.

See here:

There are benefits to Switzerland - even Zürich - and you'll be quite well off. But not rich. Really it's a lifestyle question, or just doing something differently for a while.
      I know you work there, I saw you on the other forum too.

Online calculators aside , what's the realistic take-home at 850pd from your experience pre-expenses? Is there a room for tax planning or is tax taken before landing to your hands?

I'm exploring 2 approaches because the job is one week on-site , one week WFH.
      - Monday to Friday airbnb, keep london flat at 1650pm
      - rent a place at 2000chf in zurich and move

Comment

See here:

And Zurich is lovely (I've only visited for a few days, but really liked it).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          And Zurich is lovely (I've only visited for a few days, but really liked it).
          and no -20% dip in economy and people struggling to get work I presume....

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
            That's one for NAT.

Comment

850CHF is about £700 - hardly a life changing day rate but usually would be considered good nonetheless.

However, I don't know about Zurich but when I used to visit Basel for short business trips, it was wallet bustingly expensive.

And 3 years for a contract? That could be terminated any time. I wouldn't bank on doing a full 3 years just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                850CHF is about £700 - hardly a life changing day rate but usually would be considered good nonetheless.

However, I don't know about Zurich but when I used to visit Basel for short business trips, it was wallet bustingly expensive.

And 3 years for a contract? That could be terminated any time. I wouldn't bank on doing a full 3 years just in case.
                yeah but i'm at 340pd now, so that feels like a big change. Not that big if things bounce and I'm back at 500pd+ though

Comment

I know you work there, I saw you on the other forum too.

Online calculators aside , what's the realistic take-home at 850pd from your experience pre-expenses? Is there a room for tax planning or is tax taken before landing to your hands?

I'm exploring 2 approaches because the job is one week on-site , one week WFH.
                  - Monday to Friday airbnb, keep london flat at 1650pm
                  - rent a place at 2000chf in zurich and move
                  You'll be an employee of a Swiss brolly, with tax at source while on a B permit (minimum 5 years). But due to your relatively high income, you'll have to fill in a tax return, which usually involves paying a bit more over the PAYE. There are ways of reducing your tax liability - e.g. paying into a pillar 3a pension account. Expenses involved getting to work are also deductible.. But tax anywhere isn't that high, and neither are social contributions. I don't know for sure what the take home would be, as I work through my Swiss limited company. You should ask the payroll company for a sample payslip.

6% dip in GDP, but expected to recover by the end of the year, depending on any "second wave". I've not heard mass reports of IT workers having trouble - though I imagine there are few companies hiring.

A weekly commute will be quite expensive. Also coupled with the chance of quarantine, I'd say it's a no-no. Remember the further you out from the city, the cheaper your rent will be. It can also affect your premiums. Comparis.ch is your friend for comparing all kinds of things across cantons and communites (gemeinde).
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You'll be an employee of a Swiss brolly, with tax at source while on a B permit (minimum 5 years). But due to your relatively high income, you'll have to fill in a tax return, which usually involves paying a bit more over the PAYE. There are ways of reducing your tax liability - e.g. paying into a pillar 3a pension account. Expenses involved getting to work are also deductible.. But tax anywhere isn't that high, and neither are social contributions. I don't know for sure what the take home would be, as I work through my Swiss limited company. You should ask the payroll company for a sample payslip.

6% dip in GDP, but expected to recover by the end of the year, depending on any "second wave". I've not heard mass reports of IT workers having trouble - though I imagine there are few companies hiring.

A weekly commute will be quite expensive. Also coupled with the chance of quarantine, I'd say it's a no-no. Remember the further you out from the city, the cheaper your rent will be. It can also affect your premiums. Comparis.ch is your friend for comparing all kinds of things across cantons and communites (gemeinde).
                    That. So you are able to work through Swiss limited company?
                    I'll defo going to be pushing for that

Comment

Working...
                    X