• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take a 45% cut post tax for a perm job to just about pay off the bills or wait?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    For a contract job? Probably less than 25% will ask for a reference.
    And even if they did by the time they are asking for references they want you as referencing someone costs money.

Incidentally I've had to get references from HR bods of SMEs I've done work for as the agent has been fecking useless or disappeared. They just give dates of work.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Take it. Roof over your head is a now probelm that you need to solve now. The CV is next year's problem and you will find a solution to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Take it. Roof over your head is a now probelm that you need to solve now. The CV is next year's problem and you will find a solution to it.
        Maybe if he already has the roof on his head, he could use the time to find a way outside of corporate world. There is no one solution for everyone. Could be a life revealing or terminal depression moment, everyone has it’s own ways. The answer is in one’s self not some random guy on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          Maybe if he already has the roof on his head, he could use the time to find a way outside of corporate world. There is no one solution for everyone. Could be a life revealing or terminal depression moment, everyone has it’s own ways. The answer is in one’s self not some random guy on the internet.
          Although if you ask for opinions on the Internet, presumably that's what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
            I think my contracting days could sadly be over!
            Don't be such a wimp. Refuse the job and wait for a decent contract (as long as it's not in my area).

I'm in a similar situation. Getting 84k a year as a government artist while waiting for a juicy contract to come along.

Since all the disease-ridden humans are getting the sack there should be even more need for computer stuff now.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
              Don't be such a wimp. Refuse the job and wait for a decent contract (as long as it's not in my area).

I'm in a similar situation. Getting 84k a year as a government artist while waiting for a juicy contract to come along.

Since all the disease-ridden humans are getting the sack there should be even more need for computer stuff now.
              Yep. Boom time is coming.
              Once all the bed wetters have gone perm.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Yep. Boom time is coming.
                Once all the bed wetters have gone perm.
                This time next year, Rodders.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

I thought trolling wasn't allowed in this section?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    I thought trolling wasn't allowed in this section?
                    I'm all for a bit of trolling in professional forums when the target is well chosen (usually PC or Darren Test), but it strikes me as poor form to troll when somebody is starting a thread and experiencing (or about to experience) some economic difficulties,

Comment

You just have to do it when the chips are down. Happened to me in 2003 and I ended up accepting a £35k job 100 miles from home and I was barely breaking even. The whole situation was very demotivzting and depressing but I did manage to extricate myself on 1 week's notice when I found something better during my probation period.

Comment

Working...
                      X