• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC vetting, estranged (from me) parents.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC vetting, estranged (from me) parents.

Hello All,

First post from me, I’ve read the FAQs and often consulted this site from afar but today I can’t find my question on any threads.

I’ve recently left the Police where I was a civilian senior staff with NPPV3.

I’ve been offered a job within Civil Service and have been sent the SC vetting form.

To cut a long story short, I’m a bit of a loner and have distant relationships with my family and am not in full receipt of all the details of my parents (one of whom died seven years ago).

It was struggle enough to find someone who has known me for more than three years that I’m in contact with.

The form has a box for ticking re’ not having full details which I’ve ticked and I have added what I do know about my parents (I had to scrabble about to find a picture of my mums headstone to answer some of it)

Can anyone attest vaguely as to if my scant detail about my parents is going to hold things up?
    Conversely
    Will the previous police vetting speed things up?

I’m twiddling my thumbs with a dwindling golden handshake and times are tough, I could do with an insight as to if I should be looking elsewhere in the interim?

I got offered the job in May and the SC form only arrived two days ago.,

No idea. The fact you held NPPV3 should help prove you are wo you say you are (and that would have asked the same question, in the main, as the SC process but with different parameters as to what is and isnt acceptable).

Only way to find out is to submit it and see what happens. You can't affect the process after all
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hello hello hello

Fill in the forms and submit they already know the answers already so just double checking you

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Practicale View Post
        Hello All,

First post from me, I’ve read the FAQs and often consulted this site from afar but today I can’t find my question on any threads.

I’ve recently left the Police where I was a civilian senior staff with NPPV3.

I’ve been offered a job within Civil Service and have been sent the SC vetting form.

To cut a long story short, I’m a bit of a loner and have distant relationships with my family and am not in full receipt of all the details of my parents (one of whom died seven years ago).

It was struggle enough to find someone who has known me for more than three years that I’m in contact with.

The form has a box for ticking re’ not having full details which I’ve ticked and I have added what I do know about my parents (I had to scrabble about to find a picture of my mums headstone to answer some of it)

Can anyone attest vaguely as to if my scant detail about my parents is going to hold things up?
        Conversely
        Will the previous police vetting speed things up?

I’m twiddling my thumbs with a dwindling golden handshake and times are tough, I could do with an insight as to if I should be looking elsewhere in the interim?

I got offered the job in May and the SC form only arrived two days ago.,
        They just need information which they can verify (Dates etc) so make sure you know the exact date of death etc with you parent and let them do the rest (They know more than you realise in most cases as mentioned here).

There is a small box normally called Continuation Sheet or expanded box to fill questions in on the end of the sheet; To make life easy just mark each section in this area then add a paragraph (e.g. Section 1.5 Parents etc then add a below paragraph explaining the situation and for the love of god don't write long winded explanations just be concise and try to keep everything within the paragraph).

I had a parent who died abroad and had very little details about it so I was just honest on the sheet as to what I know and gave a brief explanation about it and found no issues.

If you went through police vetting it won't have any impact or benefit if you are undergoing SC as NPCC vetting guidelines (Old ACPO for those in the know) veer sharply off from the national security vetting framework through the UKSV.

I'm a little stumped however did you not have national clearence attached to your NPPV3 (worth a check as you might be surprised that you have already undergone SC when they also did your NPPV3).

Also UKSV only just started back up from post COVID lockdown in August so they are playing catch up along with the rest of the government bodies.
        Last edited by BlackCountryContractor; 30 August 2020, 07:44. Reason: Shizzle forgot to add something

Comment

Thanks all.
          Re NPPV3, interestingly when I did that it asked more intrusive questions than the SC application but it was all done in house within the force to keep costs down.

I’ve added explanations about being somewhat estranged from my existing parent. To make matters worse he was adopted having been a war time foundling so accurate DoB etc are unknown and as far as I know after a life in service he now resides with a lady friend whilst having a grace and favour home somewhere else (I know not where).

It bewilders next that the life choices of a virtual stranger is judged to be an accurate reflection of me.

I have a closer relationship with my postman than I do my father.

Comment

I am estranged from one of my parents. I made a note on the form and got it fine.

Comment

Been through SC several times and NPPV3 last month.....
              Answer the 'parental' bit the same every time.

Mothers name: I supply
              Any other mothers details: Not known
              Fathers name: Not known
              Any other fathers details: Not known

Never casued a problem or (as far as I know) any delay and never got chased up on.

FYI: I've also been through SC with a non-British spouse and once when I was insolvent (in an IVA) - again neither caused a SC failure although the insolvency did require a phone interview about my finances.

People read more into the SC application than they need to, the only thing guarenteed to fail an application is trying to hide something.

Also....In my opinion, NPPV3 is 'stricter' than SC; SC doesn't want to know about fixed penatly tickets (speeding etc.) but NPPV3 does! I just put I'd had a few over the years but couldn't remember details and never had more than 6 points at any one time - appears to have been sufficient ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post
                I'm a little stumped however did you not have national clearence attached to your NPPV3 (worth a check as you might be surprised that you have already undergone SC when they also did your NPPV3).
                SC isn't always attached to an NPPV3, it's just one option on the CoreVet portal; NP3 or NPP3+SC and as the SC bit has an extra charge I'd imagine it wouldn't be added unless necessary....

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
                  SC isn't always attached to an NPPV3, it's just one option on the CoreVet portal; NP3 or NPP3+SC and as the SC bit has an extra charge I'd imagine it wouldn't be added unless necessary....
                  Three of my team when working at a constabulary had to go through SC on top of their existing NPPV3 when they got seconded to supporting a squad working a major crime (no idea which, I didn't have SC...) so they could access the necessary databases. So clearly the two aren't normally combined.

And police vs MOD vs civil service vets are all different and aren't usually interchangeable. As I have said several times, it's all about the parameters of the risk assessment. Police don't like criminals or civil financial errors while MOD don't like people open to blackmail, coercion or bribery. None of them like you living abroad in a range of countries. None of it is black and white, which is why it's hard to answer questions beyond the obvious.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Same here - nobody knows who my father is/was so I just state that on the form. I've had sc 3 times now no problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X