• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts with NHS have always been crap but not this bad!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volunteering should be a for a charity. The NHS isn't a charity.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      There's a place for volunteers in the NHS, running League of Friends second hand bookshops etc. They are part of the fabric of a hospital and have a humansing effect (but NEVER ask them directions). But they're doing jobs that nobody would ever pay someone to do. I agree that "IT" is not something that should be voluntary.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
        Definition of volunteer
        1: a person who voluntarily undertakes or expresses a willingness to undertake a service: such as
        a: one who enters into military service voluntarily
        b(1): one who renders a service or takes part in a transaction while having no legal concern or interest
        (2): one who receives a conveyance or transfer of property without giving valuable consideration

Hmm, I decided to look it up and, no mention of volunteering being specific only to charities. And whether volunteering may or may not lead to a role is entirely up to the person entering into the above 'willingness'.

As for the trials, per the BBC report, a way round this may be to suggest; 'Perform a day's trial which, if we take you on, you will thus be paid for. If we see you're not capable, you will not be invited back and you will not be paid.'

How different is this to all the coding tests you developers perform which, May or May not, lead to a job?

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          These roles are classed as volunteer, with a hint of "if we like you there may be a role", so it's a work trial and not a volunteer. They are not like a coding test, but weeks without pay with the lure of something more.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
            These roles are classed as volunteer, with a hint of "if we like you there may be a role", so it's a work trial and not a volunteer. They are not like a coding test, but weeks without pay with the lure of something more.
            Well, they used the word Volunteer, not Trial. So until they, the agency, say otherwise, it's Volunteer.

For my part, when I was talking to the agency about such a gig, my 'pay-off', if you like, was purely to get some NHS / Public sector experience on the CV. Without this, the paying roles currently advertised all say the usual, Must have NHS / Public Sector guff. So, irrespective of whether they liked me, or found money, I would have had it on my CV.

And I would have gone in with eyes wide open only to the CV bit. Lures and possibilities were not even a consideration. Anyway, free will and all that, no one is forcing anyone into such a gig so good luck to any and all.

Comment

Well, they used the word Volunteer, not Trial. So until they, the agency, say otherwise, it's Volunteer.

For my part, when I was talking to the agency about such a gig, my 'pay-off', if you like, was purely to get some NHS / Public sector experience on the CV. Without this, the paying roles currently advertised all say the usual, Must have NHS / Public Sector guff. So, irrespective of whether they liked me, or found money, I would have had it on my CV.

And I would have gone in with eyes wide open only to the CV bit. Lures and possibilities were not even a consideration. Anyway, free will and all that, no one is forcing anyone into such a gig so good luck to any and all.
              They are all PAID roles, but the NHS get cheap labour for as long as they can string them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                I don't know where people get this sort of rubbish from. I was recently approached for an interim Assistant Director role at one of the largest London NHS trusts in London. Out of curiosity I Googled the perm salary and it was something like £63-72k. And that's for one level below Director level.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                  I don't know where people get this sort of rubbish from. I was recently approached for an interim Assistant Director role at one of the largest London NHS trusts in London. Out of curiosity I Googled the perm salary and it was something like £63-72k. And that's for one level below Director level.
                  Lead Dev NHS in Manchester is band 8 (45 - 65k), BA band below and plenty of NHS analysts already applying.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                    Probably from the Express or Mail. There is a big gap between Assistant Director and an Executive Director. Less so between Assistant Director and a job title that includes Director, but isn't an Executive Director.

Comment

Definition of volunteer
                      1: a person who voluntarily undertakes or expresses a willingness to undertake a service: such as
                      a: one who enters into military service voluntarily
                      b(1): one who renders a service or takes part in a transaction while having no legal concern or interest
                      (2): one who receives a conveyance or transfer of property without giving valuable consideration

Hmm, I decided to look it up and, no mention of volunteering being specific only to charities. And whether volunteering may or may not lead to a role is entirely up to the person entering into the above 'willingness'.

As for the trials, per the BBC report, a way round this may be to suggest; 'Perform a day's trial which, if we take you on, you will thus be paid for. If we see you're not capable, you will not be invited back and you will not be paid.'

How different is this to all the coding tests you developers perform which, May or May not, lead to a job?
                      You don't volunteer for the Army any more than you volunteer to work down the iocal shop. If they have a need to recruit you go through the process and get offered to join or not. In both cases they also pay you.

Similarly it is up to the individual if they wish to go through any recruitment process. I won't personally do any productive work as part of a recruitment process and getting people to do trial shifts working in a restaurant is morally reprehensible.

Comment

Working...
                      X