• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts with NHS have always been crap but not this bad!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a left leaning supporter of a well funded at the point of use NHS but I don't think people who have spent years learning skills should be expected or asked to work for free. For no other reason if the NHS start doing it then other worthy organisations will start doing it followed by not so worthy organisations.

It is a terrible precedence.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      I am a left leaning supporter of a well funded at the point of use NHS but I don't think people who have spent years learning skills should be expected or asked to work for free. For no other reason if the NHS start doing it then other worthy organisations will start doing it followed by not so worthy organisations.

Indeed, but if people are prepared to sign up, as Simes said "for the experience", then it might continue. We'll see how it all pans out. If the agency can afford to pay a finders fee, then there's money in it for them at least.

Comment

Yeah I agree that it's terrible for someone skilled to come in and do it for free. It's different if it's someone unskilled who will get an opportunity to learn a new skill and add some experience to their CV, especially when just starting out or trying to make a career transition. It works out well for grads when they do an internship. It really helps them out but yeah for skilled people it makes no sense and it's just bad for society.

Comment

Thankfully, the VSO, and the countless other organisations who organise such, seem to have enough people who think otherwise for them to remain in operation.

To each their own. But for my own, if I had done enough, and got enough, then if any of my skills could be put to use somewhere without funding, then I am up for it.

Comment

I thought TATA had offered up all their furloughed staff for nothing?!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Probably from the Express or Mail. There is a big gap between Assistant Director and an Executive Director. Less so between Assistant Director and a job title that includes Director, but isn't an Executive Director.
              True, but my example of an Assistant Director is surely a fair bit above what most people think of as a middle manager?

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                True, but my example of an Assistant Director is surely a fair bit above what most people think of as a middle manager?
                Why? In your typical US investment bank job title inflation probably makes that middle manager an Executive Senior Vice President.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Why? In your typical US investment bank job title inflation probably makes that middle manager an Executive Senior Vice President.
                  Just looking at a US org chart (not a bank)... a Director is level 6.
                  1. President/CEO
                  2. Executive Vice President
                  3. Senior Vice President
                  4. Vice President
                  5. Senior Director
                  6. Director
                  7. Senior Manager
                  8. Manager
                  9. Senior Analyst/Developer/Support
                  10. Analyst/Developer/Support
                  11. Junior Analyst/Developer/Support
                  (12. Intern)
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Just looking at a US org chart (not a bank)... a Director is level 6.
                    1. President/CEO
                    2. Executive Vice President
                    3. Senior Vice President
                    4. Vice President
                    5. Senior Director
                    6. Director
                    7. Senior Manager
                    8. Manager
                    9. Senior Analyst/Developer/Support
                    10. Analyst/Developer/Support
                    11. Junior Analyst/Developer/Support
                    (12. Intern)
                    So you are basically at director before you start looking at jobs that included actually management beyond being a Team Lead...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      So you are basically at director before you start looking at jobs that included actually management beyond being a Team Lead...
                      Yes, pretty much.

And most levels below director, the difference is either length of service or salary, very little difference in actual day-to-day work.

There are people with the title "Senior Manager" or "Manager" and they don't actually manage anyone.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X