• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH but from abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WFH but from abroad

Wife works from home and is likely to do so for some time.

We have the opportunity to spend some time in Spain (covid permitting) and her company are OK about her working abroad though it may depend on for how long. A couple of questions for anyone who may help:

1. Are there any data issues in her accessing UK data from Spain and potentially holding it on her laptop.
    2. Are there any likely tax implications in her working for a UK company but from Spain. We are looking at possibly 2/3 months.

Thanks.
    We got the Oystons out like we said we would

GDPR is at the moment Britain and Europe wide but haven't got a clue what happens after January 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Hertsseasider View Post
      Wife works from home and is likely to do so for some time.

We have the opportunity to spend some time in Spain (covid permitting) and her company are OK about her working abroad though it may depend on for how long. A couple of questions for anyone who may help:

1. Are there any data issues in her accessing UK data from Spain and potentially holding it on her laptop.
      2. Are there any likely tax implications in her working for a UK company but from Spain. We are looking at possibly 2/3 months.

Thanks.

1. Ask the client/employers data controller.
      2. 2/3 months is fine. You are UK resident still. And have an EHIC card for health care.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Probably fine on first one but can just ask. There are certain types of data you would need to make sure are handled correctly but this usually also means not downloading the data locally to a laptop and accessing it offline either as you no longer have a trail of who has accessed it at that point.

Probably no tax implications, I probably wouldn't volunteer the information either to anyone. Just treat it like you would a shorter working holiday (not professional advice)

Comment

Can't you just set-up a VPN for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
            Can't you just set-up a VPN for this?
            If you tried that on systems I've setup, you'll be flagged as a high-risk user and be blocked.
            They you'd be talking to the security people about what you've done that flagged that risky behaviour.

It will work in most cases though.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              If you tried that on systems I've setup, you'll be flagged as a high-risk user and be blocked.
              They you'd be talking to the security people about what you've done that flagged that risky behaviour.

It will work in most cases though.
              If you've done that on systems I've created, absolutely nothing would happen

Comment

You should be ok on both of these. With regard to the second one you will potentially be in Spain fr less than 90 days.
                What the situation is after January 31 though is anyone's guess.
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

If her employer is OK with it then I'm not sure what else can be a problem. It's their data thst ats risk. I'm sitting here in Germany unable to work as my client won't allow kit out of the country without a very good reason. My sons company would allow it but would need to sign a ton of stuff.

Make sure you've got a mail with the OK from the client and they are aware it's a country that you will be quarantined from and off you go.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Amateurs

Step one, get a office backdrop screen you can take with you to Spain

Step two, setup a home VPN using a raspberry pi (google it)

Step 3, move to Spain attend any meetings using same background

No one will every know you are out of the uk

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X